World Golf Challenge
Volvo in Golf – A true moment
About Volvo in Golf
In 1988, Volvo changed the face and fortunes of the European Tour and has been a pioneer in golf for many years, successfully using its high-profile events portfolio to position the premium brand and create sustainable business partnerships with clients passionate about the sport.
Thanks to effective media exposure, millions around the world have seen the renowned blue brand on the tees, greens and fairways of the world.
Now in its third edition, the Volvo Golf Champions is firmly established as a true Tournament of Champions featuring only players who have won during the previous year’s European Tour schedule and those players from an exclusive group who have ten or more European Tour career wins.
The Durban Country Club is a renowned Championship course with an impressive résumé having hosted the South African Open on no less than 17 occasions. It enjoys beautiful vistas overlooking theIndian Oceanand, with its undulating fairways, lush vegetation and sand dunes is considered one of the most unique and challenging courses in the world. It was recently voted one of the Top 100 golf courses in the World by Golf Magazine USA and is undoubtedly a shot maker’s course that players will have to think their way around.
The Championship will be contested over 72 holes, with all participants playing four rounds (there is no cut after 36 holes). Total prize money is €2 million (approx ZAR 22,500,000) with €350,000 (approx ZAR 4,000,000) going to the winner.*
Volvo is one of the most prolific and longest serving supporters of world golf, with 25 years experience in running world-class golf tournaments, and has title-sponsored over 125 professional golf tournaments.
European Tour events:
Volvo Golf Champions – a champion's only tournament
Volvo China Open - the national open golf championship of China
Volvo World Match Play Championship - professional golf’s most enduring match play event
Tournaments for club golfers:
Volvo World Golf Challenge - one of the most inclusive global golf series in the world targeted to Volvo’s customers, with its World Final staged in conjunction with the Volvo Golf Champions. Volvo's customers are then offered the golf experience of a lifetime by 'Playing with the Pros' during the professional tournament, a completely unique possibility.
About Volvo Car South Africa in Golf
Volvo Car SouthAfricais as entrenched in local golf as we are globally - through our involvement with a variety of different local golf tournaments and golf endeavours:
- We are the vehicle of choice for the PGA of SA.
- We sponsor Compleat Golfer's 5-Star Golf Experience as well as the Compleat Golfer Annual Awards in conjunction with the PGA of SA.
- Volvo partnered with Super Sport to bring the Volvo "Shot of the Day" as well as prizes for the 4 Majors and the Ryder Cup.
- The local Volvo World Golf Challenge is run in partnership with the Nomads - an organisation for the furtherance of golf. Through that we support the development of junior and amateur golf in SA. There are 13 events nationally.
- Volvo is a proud sponsor of the SA Mid-Amateur series - 9 events in 9 provinces.
- VCSA is also a proud sponsor of the Vodacom Origins of Golf - a premium golf series.
- Volvo is the proud vehicle sponsor of the Nedbank Golf Challenge hosted at the spectacular Gary Player Golf course atSun City.
- Volvo is the vehicle sponsor for the Ernie Els Invitationals - 2012 is the Ernie Els for Autism event.
- Many of our dealerships get involved in golf activities in their local communities, which further ensure that VCSA makes the most of its proud history with this incredible sport inSouth Africa.