Walter P. Chrysler Museum Launches Its 2012 Collector’s Curb Series with Imperial Aspirations
February 1, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Collector's Curb is continuing at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, in Auburn Hills, Mich. as the specialty exhibit enters a second year of spotlighting spectacular vehicles on loan from private owners in celebration of their car clubs.
Through Sunday, Feb. 26, the Museum is highlighting Imperial Aspirations, the first installation in the 2012 Collector's Curb series. The special pairing of the 1967 and 1981 Imperial models is prominently exhibited on the Museum's second floor along with specification labels and an array of personal memorabilia.
While car enthusiasts collect for many reasons, the result of their time, passion and elbow grease is always the same -- a piece of Chrysler heritage, which may have otherwise faded away, is preserved. In honor of this important hobby the Museum partners with local car clubs to invite collectors throughout Metropolitan Detroit to park their cars along Collector's Curb and share their stories.
Imperial Aspirations features a 1967 Imperial convertible owned by Wayne and Sue Simonson of Ray Township, on behalf of the WPC Club, and a 1981 Chrysler Imperial owned by Chris Vitale of St. Clair Shores, on behalf of the Online Imperial Club.
Chrysler upped the ante in the luxury car department back in 1967 by updating its Imperial with stylish unibody construction, well-appointed interiors and a 440 V-8 engine. In 1981, after a six year absence, the long-running Imperial brand re-appeared with revolutionary electronic features such as digital instrument panel displays, a multi-fuctional trip computer and electronic fuel injection.
When Imperial Aspirations drives off, Collector's Curb will feature the following vehicle pairings throughout the year:
Heavy Metal -- Feb. 28 - April 29: Featuring a 1996 GTS Viper owned by Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association (CEMA) Club member Lori Emerling of Troy and a 1998 GTS-R Viper owned by Tom Abrams of Canton
Tricked Out Trucks -- May 1 - June 24: Spotlighting a 1941 Plymouth Pick-up owned by WPC Club member Pat Opipari of Clinton Township and a 1979 Midnight Express owned by CEMA Club member Doug Kline of White Lake
Mighty Mopars -- June 26 - Aug. 26: Showcasing the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere Petty Replica owned by WPC Club member Ray Mrosewske of Chesterfield Township and a 1965 Dodge A/FX owned by North Oakland Mopar Muscle member Mike Pollock of Troy
Dodge - Classic & Modern -- Aug. 28 - Oct. 28: Featuring a 1926 Dodge owned by Dodge Brothers Club member Barry Cogan of Grosse Pointe Park and a 1959 Dodge Royal Lancer owned by WPC Club member Wayne Snyder of Bloomfield Hills
Orphans - Plymouth & DeSoto -- Oct. 30 - Dec. 30: Showcasing a 1935 Plymouth owned by Plymouth Owners Club member Judy Sherman of Orchard Lake and a 1937 DeSoto owned by WPC Club member Burke Brown of Milford
Collector's Curb exhibition vehicles may unexpectedly change. Visit wpchryslermuseum.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is open for self-guided tours 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tues. - Sat. and noon - 5 p.m. Sun. The Museum is closed every Monday, Easter Sunday, July 4, Thanksgiving and Dec. 24, 25 and 31.
Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors (62 and older) and $4 for six - 12 year olds and includes the specialty exhibits. Children five and under are admitted free. A discount rate of $4 per person is available for groups of 15 or larger. Two-for-one admission coupons are available on the Museum's Web site at wpchryslermuseum.org.
Located on the Chrysler Group LLC complex in Auburn Hills, at exit 78 (Chrysler Dr.) off I-75, the Museum is available for corporate and private meetings and events and offers a K-12 education program as well as membership and volunteer opportunities. Families can enjoy Kids' Corner, with regular Museum admission, an area for pre-school - elementary school-age children to enjoy automotive-inspired puzzles, games, projects, books and coloring activities.
The Walter P. Chrysler Museum is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charity and donations are tax-deductible.