TOP PARKING TIPS
Driver training specialist IAM Drive & Survive is offering weekly motoring tips to drivers from its head of training, Simon Elstow. This week he is advising on parking.
- Park on the left-hand side of the road if possible, and always at night.
- In a car park, try and reverse into parking spaces as this is safer when driving out of a space, and more fuel efficient as you’ll be manoeuvring with a warm engine.
- Check your mirrors and over your shoulder frequently – you still need to know what’s going on around you. Don’t just rely on parking sensors to guide you.
- When looking for a parking place, don’t stop suddenly. Drive slowly past a potential parking space and size it up to see if your car will fit. And if you can’t stop because you have traffic behind you, drive on.
- When visiting a supermarket or retail park, try and park away from trolley parks and corners to avoid your car being exposed to damage from trolleys.
- When parking, open your window in car parks and turn off your stereo. You can often hear something before you can see it.
Elstow said: “Parking is an essential part of driving which many people find stressful. Don’t feel pressurised by other drivers waiting for you to park – it’s important to take your time.”