The New Saab 9-5: More Style and Performance
Bold looks, a unique powertrain package and an uprated chassis combine to give the new Saab 9-5 a fresh, more dynamic cutting edge appearance.
The sleeker lines and sportier stance of the distinctive new 2007 9-5 Sedan reinforces the Scandinavian brand’s premium position and showcases the introduction 191 kW turbo engine.
The exterior changes are also echoed by interior enhancements, including new instrumentation and infotainment system. And the increased driver appeal is underlined by careful re-tuning of the chassis and steering for sportier responses that do not compromise ride quality.
The new Saab 9-5 Sedan is focused on enhancements across three key dimensions:
- Bold frontal styling and cleaner lines.
- All-new bodywork forward of the A-pillar.
- New grille with wing motif derived from Saab 9X.
- Previews future Saab design direction
- Sportier stance, new light assemblies, color-keyed bumper moldings and trim.
- Wider rear track and color-keyed exterior detailing enhances visual appeal.
- New projector-style headlamp units and rear light clusters add modernity
- New 'Black Room' interior design concept.
- Sportier ambience with all-black door cappings, front fascia and carpeting.
- Contrasting door inserts and trim.
- Enhanced, color co-ordinated interior décor.
- Matching look for main instrument panel and door trims.
- New black, burled wood-effect and metallic finishes for Linear, Arc, Vector, Aero.
- New main instrument dials, sports steering wheels and infotainment control panels.
Performance Uprated Aero engine
- 2.3 Turbo engine exclusive to Aero flagship now delivers 191 kW.
- Superboost function raises strong torque still higher, to 370 Nm.
- More responsive vehicle dynamics for sportier driving experience.
- Retuned dampers, springs and anti-roll bars deliver sharper handling.
- Improved body control and steering precision.
- Excellent ride quality maintained.
- Uprated sports chassis.
- Class-leading safety levels.
- Top ratings for 9-5 model in Swedish and US accident injury studies.
- Comprehensive safety equipment including Saab Active Head Restraints (SAHR).
- Stability control program, ESP® fitted as standard for all variants.
- Saab ComSense dynamic workload management helps prevent driver distraction.
The new Saab 9-5 Sedan is designed to reinforce the brand’s core appeal among discerning customers who seek a distinctive product in keeping with their own, more self-expressive values. Typically, such customers are independent-minded professionals who prioritize good aesthetic and original design that offers strong styling, performance and safety. The Saab 9-5 series has already established a strong, worldwide following and Saab expects the new model to attract more customers to the brand.
Enhanced Aero engine
The new 9-5 Aero's position at the top of the range is underlined by a 7 kW increase in the 191 kW maximum output of its 2.3-liter turbocharged engine. Torque is maintained at an exceptionally strong 350 Nm between 1,900 and 4,000 rpm. The capacity of the 32-bit Trionic engine management system has also allowed the programming of a unique ‘superboost’ facility on engines with manual transmission, raising torque still higher, to 370 Nm, for up to 20 seconds. This feature is automatically engaged at full throttle openings for even swifter overtaking.
On the road, this level of power gives the new 9-5 Aero sedan searing acceleration. The zero to 100 kph dash is accomplished in just 6.9 seconds (Auto 8,2) and 80 to 120 kph in fifth gear in just 8.9 seconds.
The engine has an aluminum alloy cylinder head, chain-driven camshafts and a cast-iron block with a 90 mm bore, half-siamesed cylinders and five main bearings. Special jets spray cooling engine oil to the underside of the pistons at the bottom of their stroke, a feature more commonly seen in competition engines.
Five-speed ‘adaptive’ automatic transmission with steering wheel controls
Convenience and sporty performance are combined in the sophisticated five-speed automatic transmission, which incorporates Saab Sentronic manual gear selection via steering wheel buttons.
Manufactured by Aisin AW, the transmission constantly monitors its surroundings, adapting shift patterns to the prevailing conditions. For example, it can detect changes in altitude and engine performance, or if a trailer is being towed, and will optimizes its gear shifting patterns accordingly, staying within the engine’s ‘sweet spot’. This is facilitated by a high-speed databus connection which provides a continuous flow of information between the Trionic engine management system and the automatic transmission’s control module.
In addition to selecting ‘normal‘ or ‘sport’ modes, the driver can also enjoy close gear changing control akin to that of a manual transmission by using Saab Sentronic steering wheel buttons. With the selector lever in the ‘M’ for manual position, swift sequential changes can be executed via the buttons – the right one for ‘up’ changes and the left for ‘down’ changes.
3D Car Shows on Google+
The 3D Car Shows site, spesialize in Automotive News. On the 3D Car Shows site you will find information about the Automotive Industry, Cars, Trucks, Vehicles and Motorcycles.
Here at 3D Car Shows we are committed to bringing you quality daily and relevant information about the Automotive Industry