Subaru Hybrid at the New York Auto Show
SUBARU’S FIRST-EVER PRODUCTION HYBRID MODEL SHOWN IN NEW YORK
Tokyo, March 29, 2013 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, unveiled the Subaru XV Hybrid at the New York International Auto Show.
The Subaru XV Hybrid is Subaru’s first hybrid vehicle and like all Subaru models embodies an “Enjoyment and Peace of Mind” driving experience realised by the Subaru brand. In addition to the XV’s original attributes – superb driveability, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ capability and versatile utility – Subaru’s original hybrid system has been integrated into the model, furthering its sporty, fun to drive character and environmental friendliness.
The Subaru XV Hybrid optimally balances a fun to drive character and environmental friendliness. In addition to the XV’s original superb driveability, rough-road capability and versatile utility, the simple and practical hybrid system has been integrated into the Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive™ system. The motor assist function of the electric motor delivers increased torque, responsive power and environmental friendliness. While its weight balance remains the same as the petrol-powered XV, the chassis performance has been refined exclusively for the hybrid model. The Hybrid chassis delivers a sporty yet stable drive. The Subaru XV Hybrid will be introduced to the US market in late spring this year and plans for South African introduction are yet to be confirmed.
Hybrid system and Power unit
- The system offers smooth and responsive acceleration with a motor assist function and the best-in-class fuel economy (SUV AWD vehicle except for PHV in US. In-house test result.)
- Based on the Lineartronic™ (CVT) transmission of the petrol-powered XV, a motor exclusively designed for the hybrid model was integrated inside the transmission case and is installed behind the primary pulley.
- A 2.0-litre DOHC horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder Boxer® petrol engine was partially modified for the hybrid model, including reduction in engine friction.
Subaru XV Hybrid (US specifications)
By installing the high voltage battery under the cargo space, the overall front rear weight distribution and the low centre of gravity were maintained at the same level as the petrol-powered XV. The hybrid system offers EV (Electric Vehicle) driving at low speeds and motor assist driving at medium speeds. Enhanced fuel economy and responsive driving experience were both achieved.
Exclusive tuning for the front and rear suspensions, enhanced body rigidity and quick steering gear ratio enhanced sportiness of the XV Hybrid.
- A simple and clean design motif was adopted in the exterior and interior enhancements which differentiate the car form the normal XV model. The design embodies the eco-friendliness and advanced technologies of the XV Hybrid.
- For the exterior, exclusive parts for the hybrid model such as rear combination lamps and aluminium-alloy wheels were newly developed. “HYBRID” badges appear at the front edges of the front doors and on the rear gate.
- In the interior, the exclusively designed instrument cluster uses gradations of the blue colour scheme to create a sense of depth. The Multi-Function Display shows the hybrid system’s energy flow according to driving conditions.
- A new “Plasma Green Pearl” exterior colour has been adopted. This eye-catching colour evokes ecology as well as stands out in town.
Major specifications (US specifications)
- Overall Length X Width X Height (mm): 4,450 X 1,780 X 1,615
- Wheelbase (mm): 2,640
- Engine Type: 2.0-litre DOHC horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder Boxer® petrol engine
- Transmission Type: Lineartronic™ (CVT)
- Electric Motor Type: Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
- Max. output of electric motor: 10kW
- Max. torque of electric motor: 65N-m
- Battery Type: Nickel hydride batteries
- Tires: 225/55 R17
- Seating Capacity: 5