SKODA LAUNCHES RAPID AND CITIGO IN TURKEY
- ŠKODA sales in Turkey rise 30.4% in September
- Further growth in Turkey to be fuelled by two new models
- ŠKODA presence at 2012 Istanbul International Auto Show with 890 sqm stand area in hall 12
Mladá Boleslav/Istanbul, October 29th 2012 – Škoda AUTO is resolutely expanding its model palette on the Turkish market. At the Istanbul International Auto Show (November 01st - 11th, 2012), ŠKODA will be presenting the new compact saloon, the Škoda Rapid, and the ŠKODA Citigo subcompact, for the first time in Turkey. Market launch for the two new models in Turkey will be in parallel with their presentation at the Show.
ŠKODA has made strong headway on the Turkish market in 2012 as sales rose 30.4% year on year from January through September, markedly bucking the trend in the overall market, which recorded a decline of 8.7% in the same period. As of the end of September, ŠKODA’s market share was 1.9%, up from 1.3 a year ago. The most popular ŠKODA model in Turkey was the ŠKODA Octavia. “In the years ahead, Škoda intends to continue to grow worldwide. Turkey is an important growth market and thus a significant element of our 2018 growth strategy,” says Škoda CEO Winfried Vahland.
“With the new Škoda Rapid and the Škoda Citigo, we want to enhance our position in the market substantially and sustain our favourable development in Turkey resolutely,” says Vahland. This will be the first time that both of the brand’s innovations are on display at a Show in Turkey. The new compact saloon, the Škoda Rapid, and the ŠKODA Citigo subcompact, will be rolled out to Turkish dealers in parallel with their appearance at the Istanbul Auto Show.
“The Rapid is the new class of Škoda, and it will set standards in the compact saloon segment,” says Werner Eichhorn, ŠKODA Board Member for Sales and Marketing. The Škoda Rapid complements the Škoda model palette between the smaller Škoda Fabia and the larger Škoda Octavia. “It is a perfect car for the whole family, and it is sure to become extremely popular, especially with Turkish customers,” says Eichhorn. The engine offering in Turkey will include a total of four petrol and two diesel engines.
At 3.56 metres in length, the Citigo is ŠKODA’s first foray into the strongly growing subcompact segment. “The ŠKODA Citigo offers all of ŠKODA’s brand values on a very small footprint: compact yet roomy, efficient and agile at the same time, attractive and ingenious,” says Eichhorn. “It is a perfect car for the city, especially for large cities such as Istanbul.”
ŠKODA at the 2012 ISTANBUL INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW:
- Škoda location: hall 12
- Škoda stand area: 890 sqm
- Škoda press conference: November 01st, 2012, 2:00 p.m.
- Number of Škoda cars on display on press day: 9 (6x Rapid, 2x 5-door Citigo, 1x Fabia Super 2000)
- Number of Škoda cars on display on general-public days: 13 (3× Rapid, 2× Citigo 5T, 1× Fabia Scout Combi, 1x Fabia RS, 1x Fabia Super 2000, 2× Yeti, 1x Roomster, 1× Superb saloon)
- Press day: November 01st, 2012
- General-public days: November 02nd – 11th, 2012