RENAULT R-LINK: NOW AVAILABLE FOR SALE AND FAST BECOMING A WIDESPREAD FEATURE OF THE RENAULT RANGE
Renault R-Link, the connected, in-dash multimedia tablet can now be specified for six Renault models.
- Available as an option costing €590 (depending on model and market, inclusive of value-added tax) for New Clio, New Clio Estate, Captur and New Kangoo1,2, and as a standard for New Clio Renault Sport.
- Standard equipment for Renault ZOE.
- For the system’s launch, the Renault R-Link store lists more than 50 applications (depending on market) that can be downloaded directly to the vehicle.
- To try the new services available with Renault R-Link…
- A Discovery Pack including four preinstalled applications plus access to the R-Link Store for a trial period of six months (or one year in the case of ZOE Zen and ZOE Intens),
- Free trial of TomTom® LIVE and Coyote Series connected services for three months,
- Renault R-Link will gradually go on to become available for Renault’s other models.
- New Kangoo, New Kangoo Express, New Kangoo Z.E.
- On New Kangoo and Grand Kangoo as an option on Life version 690 € (VAT included), on New Kangoo Z.E. as an option 690 € with radio (VAT excluded). On New Kangoo Express (3 sizes) 590 € (VAT excluded).
“Renault R-Link is now available for several Renault vehicles. This is an important innovation which gives our customers access to affordable, new, connected, motoring-related services in complete safety,” says Thierry Viadieu, Mobility Services and Cross Car Line Equipment Program Director. “Depending on market, almost 50 applications are available for the system’s launch and the Renault R-Link Store is poised to become the benchmark source for automotive applications.”
Renault R-Link, the link between the connected and motoring worlds
The R-Link tablet sees Renault steal a lead in the world of automotive multimedia. Thanks to its connectivity, the brand’s in-dash multimedia system provides a bridge between the connected and motoring worlds. It brings an exciting range of new services and applications specifically developed for motorists whose life promises to be transformed as a result. Renault R-Link’s user-friendly functions will also appeal to those who take an interest in new technologies.
Information as and when it is needed, in total safety
To avoid having to carry countless portable devices or telephones when travelling in a car, Renault R-Link packs a comprehensive list of multimedia functions into a single system, from navigation and telephony, to the radio, Bluetooth® connectivity and audio streaming and connectivity for portable music players, as well as a range of vehicle-related services, plus an extensive catalogue of applications that can be downloaded directly to the system. These functions are controlled thanks to a simple, intuitive seven-inch (18cm) touch screen display.
R-Link’s Home Page can be customised to display all the information needed by the driver at the same time, which is a market first. This default page appears every time the system is switched on.
Meanwhile, the six-icon main menu provides direct access to the different functions, namely the navigation and multimedia systems, telephone use, vehicle-related services, applications and system settings.
Renault R-Link has been conceived to ensure that all its principal functions are intuitive and perfectly safe to use, without drivers having to take their eyes off the road. The system can be controlled by voice commands or by touching the screen.
- All the functions can be controlled by touching the screen display, while the audio and telephone functions can also be adjusted using the steering wheel-mounted fingertip remote control.
- Thanks to the voice command facility (nine languages3 covered), users can activate certain functions extremely easily, such as “call” (followed by a telephone number, or a number stored in the address book), “go to” (followed by a destination), “display my applications” or “e-mail”, for example.
Meanwhile, the Text To Speech (TTS) function will automatically read out text or the RSS feeds of certain applications if the vehicle is moving.
However, certain applications and functions can only be used at a standstill, such as the Sudoku game, R-Link Tweet, E-guide, etc.
Discover the benefits of Renault R-Link
Renault makes sure that R-Link users aren’t left to their own devices as they familiarise themselves with the system’s features thanks to a range of introductory offers:
- Three months free access to the connected services delivered by TomTom® LIVE and Coyote Series (in those countries where these services are available),
- Four preinstalled applications which are free to use for a period of six months, or for one year in the case of ZOE Zen and ZOE Intens (E-Mail, R-Link Tweet, Weather and Renault Assistance), as well as access to the R-Link Store to download the more than 50 applications that are available at the time of the system’s launch (depending on market).
Connected services covered by the three-month trial period
- HD Traffic®: the market’s best real-time traffic information service allows users to avoid delays, save fuel and benefit from an estimated time of arrival at destination.
- Hazard warnings: traffic safety warnings in real time.
- TomTom Places: the most extensive real-time points of interest data base.
- Weather: five-day weather forecasts.
Coyote Series® indicates risk zones and hazards which are flagged up and validated in real time by the system’s own user community. Coyotes Series also warns of traffic congestion (accidents, debris on the road, etc.) to advise road users of possible delays and make everyday motoring safer. Thanks to the reliability of those who flag up information and of the warning filter system, users benefit from useful information in real time:
- Detection of stationary or mobile speed cameras4,
- Risk zones or temporary hazards5,
- French, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese (Portugal only), Dutch, Italian, Russian and Turkish
- Belgium, Spain, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands and United Kingdom only.
- Metropolitan France only (in compliance with local legislation).
- Traffic incidents (accidents, congestion, unexpected conditions, etc.)
Coyote Series® complies automatically with the legislation of the country in which the vehicle is being driven. Renault has paid careful attention to making its use as straightforward and enjoyable as possible. Warnings are permanently displayed in the background, while audible warnings systematically override other Renault R-Link functions (another application, navigation system, etc.).
Four preinstalled applications free to use for a six-month trial period
Reading and answering e-mails from a car is possible thanks to Renault R-Link. For safety reasons, this simple, efficient application automatically takes into account whether the vehicle is at a standstill or on the move. At a standstill: Display previously read and unread e-mails, Read, delete or send e-mails, Detect an attached file or image (contents cannot be accessed with this e-mail application), Check previously sent e-mails, Answer or forward e-mails, Adjust how often notice of new mail is given. While on the move: Thanks to the TTS function (Text To Speech)6, e-mail messages can be read out loud, along with the sender’s name, date sent and subject.
R-Link Tweet: For safety reasons, this app may only be used while the vehicle is parked. It enables a Twitter® account to be accessed from the car to either read tweets from friends or forward comments, as well as to access personal profile information and the list of followers and accounts followed.
Weather: R-Link provides access to three-day weather forecasts anywhere in Europe, wherever the vehicle is located.
Renault Assistance7: This application allows drivers, wherever they are, to contact Renault Assistance by automatically dialling the number. To facilitate interventions, the application displays the vehicle’s identification number and GPS coordinates of its current position.
Languages covered by speech synthesis: German, English, Dutch, Greek, Turkish, Danish, French, Swedish, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Finnish, Hungarian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Slovakia and Czech.
To function, a telephone must be paired with R-Link and the vehicle must be in an area covered by GSM reception.
Renault R-Link Store: all the ingredients to become the number one store for automotive apps
With R-Link Store, Renault benefits from the creativity of the start-up incubator it has chosen to work with, as well as from the output of established providers to deliver a range of peerless, evolving applications and services. Some 50 applications are available at the time of the system’s launch (depending on market) which means that the Renault R-Link Store has all the necessary ingredients to become the benchmark store for automotive applications. These apps cover ground as varied as general or special interest news (e.g. travel, sport, ladies interest, culture) and vehicle-related functions (Renault Assistance, interactive e-guide vehicle manuals), as well as fuel prices, community based applications, e-mail and social networks. Meanwhile, the R-Link Store catalogue is poised to expand rapidly…
Spotlight on selected applications
General or special interest news in text or audio form (TTS readout): weather forecasts, Euronews, Foot Mercato soccer news.
Balumpa (France only): provides information concerning entertainment in the vicinity (concerts, shows, plays, exhibitions, etc.) within the next few hours. Simply click on ‘Y Aller’ to be guided to the venue.
- E-guide: interactive vehicle manuals and service logbooks.
- R-Sound effect (preinstalled on certain models).
- Fuel prices: this application allows motorists to compare fuel prices at the 10 nearest service stations. A colour code is used to highlight the different prices charged (lowest, average, highest). The display also flags up announced prices which date back more than four days. By selecting a service station (with the vehicle at a standstill), the user can compare the price of fuel compatible with his or her vehicle, check opening times and the availability of different services, and find the address and description of the service station. A click suffices to be guided to the selected service station by the navigation system.
- Yellow Pages all the expected services provided by Yellow Pages, White Pages and Quidonc now available in vehicles. Thanks to geo-positioning, it is possible to do a search for nearby restaurants, bars, florists, etc. The system displays a map showing the results, while the navigation system can guide users to them.
- Tourism Radio8: provides audio information about monuments in the vicinity of the car. R-Link can also provide a ‘guided tour’ of a location with guidance by the navigation system and commentary spoken by the application.
- Tourism Radio is providing guides for 11 major cities in France in French, English & German
- ELLE Astro: daily horoscopes for drivers and their family or friends. Text can be displayed or read out loud thanks to the TTS function.
- Sudoku and travel games.
Renault R-Link, for greater respect of the environment
Renault R-Link includes smart driver aids to help reduce the impact of their journeys on the environment.
Depending on the type of vehicle they are driving, Driving eco² functions allow drivers to adopt a driving style that is both economical and eco-friendly. They can thereby save fuel and reduce CO2 emissions in the case of internal combustion-engined vehicles, or benefit from additional range in the case of electric vehicles.
- ‘Trip Log’ rates the driver’s eco-driving technique,
- The ‘Eco-Tips’ function provides the driver with personalised tips on how to improve their eco-driving technique,
- ‘My Favourite Journeys’ helps the driver to improve their driving style by comparing different journeys.
Connected services provide real-time information about traffic conditions to help drivers reduce journey times. TomTom® LIVE services help the driver to optimise their route, while the driver aids delivered by Coyote Series help take congestions and slow-moving traffic into account.
When fitted to an electric vehicle, R-Link can provide comprehensive information to help drivers optimise their route, range and remaining battery charge.
- The TomTom® Z.E. LIVE navigation system provides a graphic display of how far the vehicle can travel as a function of its remaining range. When a destination is keyed in, the driver is told whether the vehicle has sufficient range to reach it. If that is not the case, it can guide the driver to a nearby charging station. It is also capable of suggesting the most economical route in terms of energy (Eco Trip function) or displaying the 8 Currently only available for Paris, and in English.
- location of nearby charging stations on maps provided by TomTom® (near to the vehicle’s actual location or at destination).
- Thanks to a connection with the car’s electronic control units, the driver can view a histogram of their energy consumption in real time, as well as the flow of electricity between the battery and the engine, climate control system, heater, etc.
- Connected services allow drivers to use their computer or smart phone, wherever they are, to check information ahead of their journey: remaining battery charge, estimated remaining range, charging status, time remaining before battery is fully charged, location of charging stations in a given place, etc. (‘My Z.E. Connect’ pack, standard equipment for ZOE, as an option for Kangoo Z.E.). Available services can be checked at www.services.renault-ze.com.
- Drivers who benefit from My Z.E. Inter@ctive can even interact remotely with their vehicle while its battery is being charged to switch on the pre-conditioning of the cabin, start the battery charge or programme the weekly charge schedule as a function of electricity rates or the CO2 emissions resulting from the production of the necessary electricity (‘My Z.E. Inter@ctive’, optional or standard equipment for certain versions of ZOE, as an option for Kangoo Z.E.).
Available Renault R-Link subscriptions in detail
Users have access to a range of subscription packages tailored to meet different needs. The Discovery Pack provides an introduction to the Renault R-Link world and can be downloaded directly to the car or to a computer.
This offer is likely to evolve rapidly as new applications are developed.
Prices (in France, inclusive of value-added tax)
Countries where available
At the dealership: €199
Belgium, Spain, Metropolitan France, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, United Kingdom
At the dealership: €179
Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Finland, Metropolitan France, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland
At the dealership: €349
Belgium, Spain, Metropolitan France, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, United Kingdom
At the dealership: €149
Metropolitan France, Germany, Spain, Ireland, United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Netherlands, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Slovenia, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Austria, Switzerland
Applications that can be downloaded to the vehicle
In addition to the four preinstalled applications, the Discovery Pack provides access to the Renault R-Link Store from the vehicle or from a personal computer. This pack provides access to a long list of applications, most of which are free of charge:
- E-mail: access to e-mails while in a vehicle (Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo). All the functions are available while the vehicle is at a standstill. When on the move, e-mails can be read out loud thanks to the Text To Speech function (TTS).
- R-Link tweet: access to the driver’s Twitter account (timeline, update status, retweet or answer a tweet, list of followers and accounts followed) while in the car, although functions are only accessible while the car is parked.
- Renault Assistance: this application provides the call number for Renault Assistance in the vehicle’s country of purchase. Useful information is displayed during the call, such as the VIN (vehicle identification number) or the GPS coordinates of its location (where available).
- Weather: real-time forecasts and forecasts for the next three days.
- Euronews: Euronews RSS feeds read out loud. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Metro: Metro RSS feeds read out loud. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Yellow Pages: access to Yellow Pages and White Pages services in your vehicle. The service is linked to the vehicle’s navigation system to reach the selected destination.
- Balumpa: for information about local entertainment and events, plus ideas for going out with friends.
- El Watan: El Watan RSS feeds read out in French. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Le Buteur (Algeria): Le Buteur RSS feeds read out loud to stay in touch with Algerian and international soccer news. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Mediafax (Romania): Mediafax RSS feeds read out loud. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Ziarul Financiar (Romania): Ziarul Financiar RSS feeds read out loud. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- Foot Mercato: Foot Mercato RSS feeds read out loud to stay in touch with the latest soccer news. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- RSS Renault: for all the latest Renault news. When the vehicle is stationary, the list of articles and a summary of each article is displayed on the screen. While on the move, the display is simplified and only the title of each article is shown. Articles can be read out loud by the TTS function.
- ELLE Astro (€6.99, including value-added tax): provides occupants with access to their daily western horoscopes, and to those of their friends.
- Tourism Radio (€9, including value-added tax): this audio service provides information in English about the monuments of Paris in the vicinity of the vehicle.
Applications available from the Renault R-Link store
When connected to R-Link Store with a computer, it is possible to download Renault R-Link or mapping updates, buy new maps and download applications free of charge:
- Sudoku: three different levels of difficulty available.
- Aquarium: to wind down or have a little fun, add fish to your Renault R-Link display or change the background…
- Quiz/Trivia: test your general knowledge.
- Clock: a range of clocks for all tastes.
- Break prompt: suggests taking a break after two hours’ driving.
- R-Sound Effect: change the mood by customising the engine noise heard inside the cabin.
- E-Guide: an interactive manual shown on the Renault R-Link display (available for ZOE, Clio).
- Calculator: on-board calculator.
- Travel Game: an application developed to help children pass the time during long journeys.
- Wordrace: find the mystery word faster than R-Link (can only be used when the vehicle is at a standstill).
- Emergency services: calls emergency services if required in any country which uses the emergency number ‘112’ (i.e. all 27 European Union member states).