Power Boost And Styling Changes For Chevrolet Cruze
Together with the addition of two new hatchback models to the Chevrolet Cruze range comes a realignment of the 5-car sedan range. The 1,6 litre petrol engine receives a power boost to 91 kW while the 2,0 litre diesel engine has its power increased from 110 kW to 120 kW together with 360 Nm of torque, up from 320Nm. Drive for the 2,0 litre diesel models is now via a 6-speed manual transmission for the LS version and 6-speed auto transmission for the LT version.
Styling and comfort enhancements include a headlamp levelling system; steering wheel mounted satellite controls for the audio system; Cruise Control; a revised 16” alloy wheel design; and re-styled front and rear bumpers. These changes apply to the Cruze 1.6 model.
Further up the range items such as Bluetooth – Music Streaming; a height adjustable passenger seat; Electronic Stability Programme and Traction Control are added.
The realigned Chevrolet Cruze sedan range consists of five models. Three of those are petrol powered variants with a choice of Cruze 1.6; Cruze 1.6LS; and Cruze 1.8LS. Two diesel powered models are now offered with a choice of Cruze 2.0LS with 6-speed manual transmission, or top specification Cruze 2.0LT with 6-speed automatic transmission.
The 1.6 litre engine is a latest generation unit from GM with a twin-camshaft, 16-valve architecture and variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust sides. In its latest form a variable volume intake manifold and revised engine control calibration provide an increase in power from 80 kW @ 6400r/min to 91 kW. Maximum torque is 155 Nm @ 4200 r/min.
The 1.8 litre engine shares the twin-cam, 16-valve VVT architecture of the 1.6 litre engine. This unit produces 104 kW @ 6200 r/min and with 176 Nm of torque at 3800 r/min. Power is delivered via a 5-speed manual transmission.
The 2,0 litre diesel engine is all new - double overhead camshaft, 16-valve, intercooled turbo diesel – with electronic control of the turbocharger – and high pressure common rail fuel injection system. This engine produces 120 kW @ 4000 r/min (up from 110 kW) with maximum torque of 360Nm delivered at just 2000 r/min (increased from 320 Nm). Drive is now via a 6-speed manual transmission on the LS, and 6 speed auto on the LT
Significantly the Cruze 2.0D LT delivers these numbers together with exceptional fuel economy. In tests conducted by GM development engineers, fuel consumption below 6l/100 km for the combined cycle has been recorded. Low emissions are also a feature of this engine with just 150 gm per kilometre of CO2 produced in normal driving conditions.
Major specification items by grade are:
- 91 kW 1,6 litre engine with dual cam phasing
- 60 litre fuel tank
- 6.5JX16 alloy wheels fitted with 205/60R16 tyres
- Headlamp levelling system
- 4 channel ABS anti lock brake system
- Cruise Control
- Power steering
- Tilt adjustable steering column
- Steering wheel satellite controls for audio system
- Colour coded door handles and bumpers
- Sports type front seats
- Height adjustment for the driver’s seat
- Power windows front and rear
- Power side mirrors
- Air conditioner
- Rear seat armrest with storage facility and two cup holders
- Two cup holders (large) for front seat occupants
- Alarm immobiliser system
- Deadlock system for door locks
- Remote controlled central door locking with speed sensitive locking
- Door unlock button in dash
- Driver, passenger front airbags and side airbags.
- Radio/CD player with four speakers and MP3 compatibility
- Auxiliary input for MP3 player or iPod
- On board computer
- Graphic info display
Cruze 1.6 LS; 1.8 LS and 2.0D LS
Specification items added for the LS grade are:
- Either 91 kW 1,6 litre petrol engine; 104 kW 1,8 litre petrol engine (both with dual cam-phasing); or 2,0 litre 120 kW diesel engine
- Telescopic adjustment for the steering column
- Front seat side airbags
- Curtain side airbags
- Height adjustable passenger seat
- Six CD front loader with six speakers check
- Bluetooth Music Streaming
- Electronic Stability Programme and Traction Control
- Front fog lamps
- Rear centre headrest
- Triple info graphic display
Factory fitted options include: Jet Black leather seats; Climate Control aircon (part of Driver’s Package); and Rear Park Assist (part of Driver’s Package).
Cruze 2.0D LT:
This top of the range model features a full house specification with the following items added to the comprehensive specification of the L and LS models:
- 120 kW 2,0 litre diesel engine
- 6-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission
- Traction control
- 7JX17 alloy wheels fitted with 215/50R17 tyres
- Leather seats
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning
- Rear park assist
- Rain sensing windscreen wipers
- Power folding mirrors
- Auto lights on function
The Chevrolet Cruze is covered by a five year/120 000 kilometre warranty with a five year unlimited anti-corrosion warranty.
Service intervals are 15 000 kilometres.
A three year/60 000 kilometre Service Plan is included in the purchase price.