Niels Bohr Google Doodle
On October 7, 2012 Google Honored Niels Bohr with a Google Doodle celebrating what would have been his 127th Birthday. If you studied Science in School or University you are likely to know who Niels Bohr were. He was part of the British team of physicists working on the Manhattan Project. The Manhattan Project were code name for the American and British scientists that worked on the first Atomic Bomb from 1939 to 1946.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." by Niels Bohr
Niels Henrik David Bohr 7 October 1885 – 18 November 1962) was a Danish physicist who made foundational contributions to understanding atomic structure and quantum mechanics. Following the war Bohr returned to Copenhagen.
He continued to advocate the peaceful use of nuclear energy. When awarded the Order of the Elephant by the Danish government, he designed his own coat of arms which featured a taijitu (symbol of yin and yang) and the motto in Latin: contraria sunt complementa: "opposites are complementary". He died in Copenhagen in 1962 of heart failure. He is buried in the Assistens Kirkegård in the Nørrebro section of Copenhagen.
The Legacy of David Bohr
- He was one of the founding fathers of CERN in 1954
- Received the first ever Atoms for Peace Award in 1957.
- In 1965, three years after Bohr's death, the Institute of Physics at the University of Copenhagen changed its name to the Niels Bohr Institute.
- The Bohr models semicentennial was commemorated in Denmark on 21 November 1963 with a postage stamp depicting Bohr, the hydrogen atom and the formula for the difference of any two hydrogen energy levels: .
- Bohrium (a chemical element, atomic number 107) is named in honour of Bohr.
- Hafnium, another chemical element, whose properties were predicted by Bohr, was named by him after Hafnia, Copenhagen's Latin name.
- Asteroid 3948 Bohr is named after him.
- The Centennial of Bohr's birth was commemorated in Denmark on 3 October 1985 with a postage stamp depicting Bohr with his wife Margrethe.
- In 1997 the Danish National Bank started circulating the 500-krone banknote with the portrait of Bohr smoking a pipe
Niels Bohr Quotes
"It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature. " by Niels Bohr
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field." by Niels Bohr
"A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself." by Niels Bohr
Niels Bohr Google Doodle
The Niels Bohr Google Doodle were displayed on all international Google Search Homepages. In the Google Doodle one could see an atom and some math equations. These did well to represent the work of Niels Bohr and the legacy he left behind.