New Volkswagen Golf GTI
- Volkswagen presents new Golf GTI at Geneva International Motor Show
- Available at two power levels for first time: standard 220 PS or GTI Performance with 230 PS
- Golf GTI offers 18 per cent improvement in fuel economy compared to previous model
Wolfsburg, 27 February 2013 - At the Volkswagen company, the letters “GTI” have stood for superior dynamic performance for over three decades now. In the tradition of previous models by the same name, Volkswagen is introducing the latest version of the Golf GTI at the Geneva International Motor Show.
For the first time, the legendary compact sports car is available at two power levels: the standard 220 PS or the GTI Performance with 230 PS and front axle differential lock.
The new GTI is powered by a turbocharged petrol direct-injection engine (TSI) with 162 kW / 220 PS. For the first time in the history of the sports car icon, a special GTI Performance will be offered. In this version, the engine’s maximum power is boosted to 169 kW / 230 PS. Both GTI versions develop a maximum torque of 350 Nm. The standard GTI accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds and reaches a top speed of 246 km/h. The GTI Performance reaches a top speed of 250 km/h and just 6.4 seconds for the sprint to 100 km/h.
Both GTI versions are equipped with a Stop-Start system, they fulfil the EU-6 emissions standard that takes effect in 2014 and – with a 6-speed gearbox – they attain the same low DIN fuel consumption value of 6.0 l/100 km (CO2: 139 g/km). This means that the Golf GTI offers an 18 per cent improvement in fuel economy compared to the previous model. With the optional 6-speed DSG, the two GTI cars consume 6.4 and 6.5 l/100 respectively (equivalent to 148 and 150 g/km CO2).
The sporty character of the Golf GTI is reflected in its traditional red-painted brake callipers, two chrome tailpipes and a sport suspension. The exterior of the compact sports car also scores with 17-inch “Brooklyn” GTI wheels and 225/45 size tyres, special side sills, a diffuser and smoked LED rear lights (including LED licence plate illumination).
Visual highlights in the interior are top sport seats in tartan pattern (“Clark”), a black roofliner and red ambience lighting.
The cars also offers sporty GTI features such as a sport steering wheel, GTI gear shift grip and instrument cluster, special trim strips and stainless steel pedals and foot support.
Volkswagen assures an optimal mix of comfort and safety in the Golf GTI. Customers can choose from the standard body colours “Tornado Red”, “Black” and “Pure White”. In Germany, advance ordering for the new Golf GTI begins on the 5th of March, and prices start at 28,350 euros.
- Market launch in Europe: Initial markets starting May 2013.
- Debut of first generation Golf GTI: 1976.
- Engine: Four-cylinder TSI (turbocharged direct petrol injection); front transverse engine; displacement 1,984 cc; bore/stroke 82.5/92.8 mm; compression ratio 9.8:1.
- Power: 162 kW / 220 PS from 4,500 to 6,200 rpm.
- Torque: 350 Nm from 1,500 to 4,400 rpm.
- Gearboxes / drive type: Manual 6-speed gearbox; automatic 6-speed DSG; front-wheel drive.
- Brakes: Disc brakes front and rear, front 312 x 25 mm, ventilated; rear 300 x 12 mm.
- Fuel consumption / CO2 emissions (manual): 6.0 l/100 km;
- 139 g/km CO2.
- Driving performance (manual): 0-100 km/h in 6.5 s; V/max 246 km/h.
- Unladen weight: 1,351 kg (base version including driver [68 kg], luggage [7 kg] and 90 % filled fuel tank; calculated as per RL 92/21/EEC.
GTI Performance: (* estimated values)
- Power: 169 kW / 230 PS from 4,700 to 6,200 rpm.
- Torque: 350 Nm from 1,500 to 4,600 rpm.
- front axle differential lock (VAQ).
- Brakes: Disc brakes front and rear, front 340 x 30 mm, ventilated;
- rear 310 x 22 mm, ventilated.
- Driving performance (manual): 0-100 km/h in 6.4 s; V/max 250 km/h.