ABOUT THE BOOK Thruxton has been described as “the UK’s Speedbowl.” The circuit is home to the prestigious British Automobile Racing Club, and during the period covered by this book the author was editor of the club’s magazine. As a result, he was able to get behind the scenes at many of the events, including F2, British Touring Cars, Aurora AFX F1, and club races.
In the 1980s Thruxton featured in the early careers of many Formula One drivers, and the book records the early performances of such luminaries as Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Derek Warwick, Alan McNish, Mike Thackwell, Mika Hakkinen, and many more. Featuring many previously unpublished photographs from the author’s personal collection, this is an insightful account of racing at one of the fastest motor racing circuits in the UK.
Motor Racing at Thruxton in the 1980s by Bruce Grant-Braham
ISBN: 9781845843694 UPC: 6-36847-04369-8
- Thruxton is one of the fastest motor racing circuits in the UK
- The circuit has remained largely unchanged since it opened
- It is the spiritual home of Formula 2 in the UK
- British Touring Cars and F3 raced there throughout the 80s
- Many Formula 1 cars have competed at Thruxton
- The circuit features in the careers of many Formula 1 drivers
- Sportscars of all vintages have proved popular at Thruxton
- Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, and Mika Hakkinen are covered
- Features the author’s unique collection of colour photographs
- Photos of races, competition cars, and many drivers
ABOUT THE AUTHOR A member of the Guild of Motoring Writers, Bruce has followed motor racing at his local circuit of Thruxton for more than 40 years. Bruce was originally an official at the circuit before becoming a photojournalist.
Throughout the 1980s, Bruce contributed to the BARC’s Thruxton race programmes, before becoming editor of the club’s BARC News (now Startline). He continues to contribute to this publication, specialising in Thruxton events. Bruce’s photographs and articles have appeared in motorsport magazines worldwide.
SPECIFICATION V4369 • Paperback • 19×20.5cm • £14.99 • 96 pages • 100 colour and b&w pictures • ISBN: 978-1-845843-69-4 • UPC: 6-36847-04369-8