MG DEBUTS MG3 TROPHY CHAMPIONSHIP CONCEPT AT MG90 EVENT
- MG Trophy Championship concept created to highlight in house engineering, design and calibration capabilities at SMTC UK in Longbridge
- Developed by team of specialist MG engineers within a short time frame
- Latest MG continues the marque’s tradition of competitive club racing
- 204 BHP 1.5T VTi Tech engine with fully adjustable Macpherson strut front and coil over rear suspension with a full body shell weight optimisation programme
- Based on current production MG3 available for under £10,000
- Launched in Sept 2013, the current production MG3 is available with 0% APR from just £99 a month or with zero deposit
Longbridge, UK, 27 June 2014 - Last weekend’s MG90 event saw the iconic MG marque celebrate its 90th year anniversary at Silverstone circuit last weekend, with a display of historic, current and future MGs, including three concept vehicles.
The MG3 Trophy Championship concept, based on the current MG3 production vehicle platform and created to highlight in-house engineering, design and calibration capabilities by SMTC UK at Longbridge, continues the MG tradition of club racing. Modifications include tuning of the 1.5 litre, 106PS, MG3 engine currently featuring 136Nm torque, to achieve a max power output of 204 BHP (207 PS) and 260Nm of torque. The Trophy vehicle has also undergone a full body-lightening programme without compromising on stiffness, boasts a limited slip differential, a fully adjustable Macpherson strut front set up with bespoke rear anti roll bar, adjustable front splitter and twin plain adjustable rear spoiler.
The racing concept was created by a team of engineers, managed by Vehicle Engineering Specialist Adrian Guyll, and based at SAIC Motor’s state of the art European Design and Technical Centre (SMTC), located alongside MG Motor UK at the Longbridge site in Birmingham. SMTC and MG are both owned by parent company, SAIC Motor; the largest automotive company in China, currently ranked 103rd in the Fortune 500.
The Trophy Championship concept previewed at the MG90 event last weekend in order to gauge potential demand for an MG Trophy race vehicle. Any interest can be raised directly with Adrian via email Adrian.Guyll@saicmotor.co.uk. Passenger and display laps continued throughout the weekend at the Stowe and GP circuit, with the vehicle driven by MG BTCC drivers Jason Plato and Sam Tordoff.
Launched in September 2013, the MG3 supermini is fun to buy, fun to drive and fun to own with over one million personalisation options, class leading chassis and driving dynamics, and exceptional value for money aftercare packages. The successful supermini is priced from only £8,399 to £9,999, or on PCP from only £99 a month or from zero deposits. The MG3 benefits from an ultra low 4E insurance group, strong residuals of up to 61 per cent, class leading interior and boot space, and high levels of equipment on all specifications as standard, as well as complete peace of mind with the three years fixed servicing package MG CARE3, the ultimate in carefree