Mercedes-Benz SLK AMG Sport Line – power made apparent
The SLK AMG Sport Line uncompromisingly takes driving pleasure and open-air enjoyment to a new level. It blends light-footed sportiness with stylish comfort, a striking sports-car design with total suitability for everyday use, top performance with exemplary ecology.
The SLK model range now has an eye-catching appearance with its exciting design, stature and high-class interior. Even more dynamic highlights have been added with the AMG Sports Line, a standard offering across the range.
The AMG Sport Line adds a sporty and fashionable stylish appearance. This includes a muscular front apron, prominent side skirts and a new rear apron that suggests sheer power. Headlamps with dark surrounds and dark-tinted tail lights provide further visual distinctions.
The seats with their specific vertical fluting and colour-coded topstitching emphasise their sporty nature. As a no charge option to the customer, all contrast stitching, red seat-belts and perforated leather in grip area of the steering wheel are also available.
“Whilst further enhancing the sporty appearance of the SLK range with the AMG Sport Line, we have also added a new engine derivative, the SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY. Buying trends have shown that there are customers looking for the additional power and torque in a 4-cylinder engine,” says Selvin Govender, Divisional Manager Marketing, Mercedes-Benz Cars.
The engines for the new SLK excel with a considerably lower fuel consumption combined with a comparable or higher output than those in the preceding series, as well as sporty and emotional appeal. The three petrol models of the SLK are all powered by direct injection engines, the SLK 200, SLK 250 and SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY.
The four-cylinder petrol engines in the SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY and SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY develops 135 kW and 150 kW respectively from a displacement of 1796 cc.
The SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY has the lowest CO2 emissions in its segment. With the enhanced, optional seven-speed automatic transmission 7G-TRONIC PLUS it consumes just 7.0 litres of premium petrol (NEDC, combined) over 100 kilometres, corresponding to 164 g of CO2 per kilometre. This sporty model sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds (7.0 auto), and achieves a top speed of 237 km/h (240 km/h with 6-speed manual transmission).
The SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY is equipped with an automatic transmission as standard, and consumes only 7.3 litres (NEDC, combined) per 100 kilometres (169 g of CO2 per kilometre). From standstill it reaches 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds, and has a top speed of 243 km/h.
“The four-cylinder engines for the SLK are homogeneous direct injection and turbocharged, leading to advantages such as lower weight and reduced in-engine friction. These engines move the operating range of the characteristic map towards more favourable values, incredible power and torque and lower fuel consumption,” adds Govender.
The V6 engine in the SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY generates 225 kW from its 3498 cc displacement, using this power to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.6 seconds (top speed 250 km/h). With a “best-in-class” overall consumption of 8.3 litres (NEDC, combined) per 100 km and 194 g of CO2 per kilometre, the SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY is the most economical V6 in its segment.
The V6 engine has been completely newly developed. Its most important hallmarks are 3rd-generation direct injection, piezo injectors and multi-spark ignition.
The seven-speed 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission has steering wheel shift paddles to facilitate sporty gearshifts.
A sporty instrument cluster in "chequered flag" design, black velour floor-mats with red piping and a AMG logo round off the exclusive interior.
The technical basis for the SLK AMG Sports Line is provided by a lowered sports suspension with a stiffer, sportier spring and damper setup. Contact with the road surface is established by 18-inch 5-twin-spoke high-sheen light-alloy wheels with mixed-size tyres (front 225/40, rear 245/35) from sports car specialist AMG. A braking system with perforated larger brake discs and callipers bearing the lettering "Mercedes-Benz" ensures outstanding deceleration.
“The four-cylinder roadsters, the SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY and the SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY are also equipped with the AMG Sports Line that expresses their special character acoustically – with an even sportier engine sound,” added Govender.
Innovations are part of the successful history of the Mercedes-Benz SLK:
- In 1996 the first generation caused a sensation with the vario-roof, which transformed the wide-open roadster into a coupé with a fixed roof at the touch of a button in just a few seconds;
- The second generation placed the standard warm AIRSCARF around the neck and shoulders of the occupants as needed, ensuring pleasurable open-top motoring even in cooler temperatures;
- The third generation offers a choice between three variants of the much-imitated vario-roof. The transparent panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL, can be switched to light or dark. It therefore offers a choice of an open-top feeling even when the roof is closed, or provides shade in strong sunshine and prevents the interior from heating up. Alternatively the vario-roof is available in painted or tinted glass versions.
Images of the New Mercedes-Benz SLK
Mercedes-Benz SLK Even more features
The new SLK has a wealth of standard and optional features.
Mercedes-Benz SLK New standard equipment
- New-generation 4 and 6-cylinder engines with direct injection
- Adaptive brake lights
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Audio 20 CD with 5.8-inch colour display, Bluetooth hands-free system, central head unit and USB connection
- NECK-PRO head restraints
- Electric parking brake (EPB)
- Headbags in the doors
- Intelligent Light System with bi-xenon (only standard from SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY)
- LED tail lights
- Air conditioning
- Boot with reversible floor and two elastic straps to secure luggage
- 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission in the SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY and SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- Daytime running lamps
- Integrated aerials, also for GPS
- Roll-over bars with anodised aluminium inserts
- Brushed aluminium trim
- Sun-reflecting leather for cooler seats in strong sunshine
Mercedes-Benz SLK New optional extras
- Ambient lighting with colour tone "SOLAR red"
- Analogue clock on the dashboard
- Illuminated door sill panels
- COMAND Online with internet access, 7-inch colour display and central controller
- DISTRONIC PLUS including PRE-SAFE® Brake
- Dynamic Handling package with adaptive damping, Torque Vectoring Brake and Direct-Steer system (SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY only)
- PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
- Panoramic vario-roof - tinted
- Panoramic vario-roof with MAGIC SKY CONTROL (switchable transparency)
- AIRGUIDE draught-stop
- AMG Carbon fibre trim
- Harmon Kardon surround sound
As with all Mercedes-Benz passenger cars, the SLK AMG Sport Line comes standard with the class-leading PremiumDrive maintenance package 6-years/ 100,000 km, with no customer contribution.
Mercedes-Benz SLK Prices
SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY R579 238
SLK 250 BlueEFFICIENCY R635 811
SLK 350 BlueEFFICIENCY R763 673