Mercedes Benz Motorsport SLS AMG 2013
2013 motorsport season gets off to a successful start for AMG customer sport: Two emphatic victories for the SLS AMG GT3
The 2013 motorsport season has got off to a very successful start for the AMG customer teams: the first two endurance races of the year in Dubai (UAE) and Bathurst (AUS) were both won by an SLS AMG GT3. At the Bathurst 12 Hour race held on 10 February 2013, the AMG customer team Erebus Motorsport GT prevailed against the competition. The gullwing model piloted by the German trio of Thomas Jäger, Bernd Schneider and Alexander Roloff started from sixth place on the grid, but completed the endurance race in first place overall with a winning margin of one lap.
And on 12 January 2013, AMG customer team Abu Dhabi by Black Falcon took overall victory in the Dubai 24 Hour race. The gullwing racing car driven by Khaled Al Qubaisi (UAE), Bernd Schneider (GER), Jeroen Bleekemolen (NED) and Sean Edwards (GB) started from pole position and finished the race a whole two laps ahead of the second-place car, thereby repeating the team's success of the previous year. Since its debut in 2010, the SLS AMG GT3 has amassed a total of 71 race wins and 12 titles.
Ola Källenius, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH notes: "Following on from the triumph at the Dubai 24 Hours, AMG customer sport has already secured its second win of the year with victory at Bathurst in Australia, marking a highly promising start to the 2013 motorsport season."
In the two seasons of motor racing to date, the AMG customer teams that are in action all over the world have compiled a highly impressive record. In the 2011 season, the SLS AMG GT3 was arguably the most successful newcomer to the world of motorsport. Following three rounds of pre-season testing and participation in the Dubai 24 Hour race in January, customer teams started to take delivery of the SLS AMG GT3 from March 2011 as part of the new Mercedes-AMG customer sport programme. The near-production SLS AMG GT3 was immediately contending for the lead in races spread across four continents. The two race wins by Graff Racing in the opening round of the French GT Championship were followed by further overall victories in Europe, Asia and Australia. With a total of twelve championship titles and 71 wins since its debut two years ago, the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 has enjoyed prolific success.
The highlights include the many titles won by the customer teams:
- Team title for HEICO Motorsport in the 2011 FIA GT3 European Championship
- Driver titles in the Portuguese GT Championship and Iberian Supercars Trophy for drivers Miguel Barbosa and José Pedro Fontes from the Sports & You team in 2011
- Driver and team titles in the FIA GT3 European Championship for the AMG customer team HEICO-Gravity Charouz in 2012
- Driver and team titles in the FIA GT1 World Championship for ALL-INKL.COM Münnich Motorsport in 2012
- Driver and team titles in the ADAC GT Masters for the kfzteile24 MS RACING Team in 2012
- Championship title for the PETRONAS Syntium Team in the Japanese Super Taikyu Series in 2012
- Driver and team titles in the 2012 Brazilian GT Championship for BVA Racing
- Team title in the 2012 Australian GT Championship for Erebus Motorsport