Seduction of the heart and mind
Athletic and sporty, the vivid, sensuous design of the new Coupé cuts a fine figure on the road and embodies modern luxury. At the same time, its interior elevates beauty and style to a sporty level. A dynamically configured chassis, with optional air suspension, forms the basis for a high level of suspension comfort, low road roar and tyre vibration, agile handling, and driving pleasure. Lightweight construction to reduce weight, excellent aerodynamics and high-performance, efficient engines likewise play their part. A host of assistance systems provides safety of the very highest calibre. With its high-class appeal and generous interior, the new C-Class Coupé sets new standards in its segment.
As the sportiest variant of the C-Class, the Coupé displays its driving enjoyment-oriented character in an emotive and at the same time formally distinct design. A sporty striking front section featuring diamond radiator grille and long bonnet – the new Coupé is 60 millimetres longer than its predecessor between the firewall and front axle alone – gives way to a crouched greenhouse the lines of which flow into a bold and powerful-looking rear end incorporating the genes of Mercedes coupés. A high beltline and frameless doors with free-standing exterior mirrors underscore the sporty character.
Clean lines and sensually arranged surfaces structure the side sections into vivid light and shadow effects. One particular highlight is the long drawn-out dropping line typical of a coupé. In contrast to the C-Class Saloon, the dropping line extends further past the rear wheel arch. To underscore the Coupé’s sporty disposition, the suspension is 15 millimetres lower than that of the Saloon, making it a very sporty proposition when combined with the standard 17-inch tyres.
Interior: generous, dynamic, exquisite
The interior is likewise a statement of the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy of sensual purity and combines emotion with intelligence. Although it exudes athletic and youthful charm, it has grown in maturity. Driver and passengers enjoy an ambience that leans toward the interior of the C-Class Saloon yet raises it to a new, sporty level. Flowing forms characterise the centre console as well as the door and rear side panelling, which smoothly merge into one another to emphasise the coupé character. The individually combined trim elements underscore the sporty character of the interior. A seating system including integral sports seats designed specifically for the Coupé offers sporty comfort. An automatic belt extender also offers convenience. The choice of materials and the workmanship have a hand-crafted feel with high-class appeal and deliver a new take on modern luxury: sportiness without compromising on comfort and exquisite style.
The unique position of the new C-Class Coupé is emphasised by the special upholstery colour combinations of saddle brown and black, porcelain and – in the Edition 1 – nut brown and black with turquoise topstitching.
With an 80 millimetre longer wheelbase, the C-Class Coupé is 95 millimetres longer and 40 millimetres wider than the predecessor. The increased vehicle volume above all creates more spaciousness for the driver and front passenger. There is more shoulder room, elbow room and headroom on all seats.
Comparison of exterior dimensions
|New C-Class Coupé||Predecessor||Difference|
|Height in roadworthy condition, mm||1405||1406||1|
|Front/rear track in mm||1563/1546||1534/1536||29/10|
The Coupé features a wealth of equipment as standard. The AMG Line is available as an alternative to further underline the dynamism of the Coupé. It differs by virtue of exterior features such as special bumpers and sills featuring AMG body styling, a diamond radiator grille with pins in chrome and 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels. Interior highlights of the AMG Line include sportily exclusive touches such as upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre in black with contrasting topstitching, a multifunction sports steering wheel with flat bottom and AMG sports pedals. The trim in open-pore black ash, combined with aluminium in the dashboard and the doors, emphasise the look.
Another eye-catching feature is the optional Interior Chrome package featuring numerous highlights shrouded in silver chrome, including the instrument cluster, the air vents and the door openers.
AMG version with discrete appearance
The Mercedes-AMG C 63 Coupé differs significantly from the Mercedes-Benz model, which shares merely the doors, roof and boot lid. The wider track on the front and rear axles called for a redesigned front end, a discrete rear end and new side walls. The strongly flared wings make the AMG Coupé 64 millimetres wider at the front and 66 millimetres wider at the rear. The aluminium bonnet sports two striking power domes. The front end is characterised by a low-slung “twin blade“ radiator grille and large air intakes. A front splitter helps to reduce lift on the front axle. Special side sill panels give the side profile a discrete appearance as well.
The suspension: sportily agile and comfortable
The suspension of the new C-Class Coupé offers a high level of comfort with low road roar and tyre vibration whilst ensuring agile driving dynamics – the basis for driving pleasure.
A new 4-link front axle with wheel suspension decoupled from the spring strut plays a part in the agile handling characteristics. This enables sporty axle kinematics for plenty of grip and high lateral stability. As a result, the suspension responds more sensitively to steering movements and allows a sporty, agile driving style. Multi-link independent rear suspension with 5 links ensures excellent wheel location qualities and supreme straight-line stability.
The Coupé comes with steel suspension as standard. Two suspensions with selective damping are available in conjunction with this system.
- a comfortable AGILITY CONTROL suspension with sporty character and a ride height lowered by 15 millimetres compared with the saloon model
- a sports suspension with tauter springing and damping including Sports Direct-Steer system for even more agile handlingAir suspension The Coupé can optionally be equipped with AIRMATIC air suspension on the front and rear axle. Its electronically controlled, continuously adjustable damping on the front and rear axle ensures outstanding road roar and tyre vibration characteristics in any situation.
- AIRMATIC also features all-round self-levelling for excellent ride comfort even with the vehicle loaded.You determine the driving characteristicsDrivers can choose the character of their Coupé at the push of a button: sporty, comfortable or consumption-optimised. To this end, the driver can select one of five driving modes using the DYNAMIC SELECT switch: “ECO”, “Comfort”, “Sport”, “Sport +” and “Individual”. Selecting “Individual” allows the driver to customise the vehicle settings to personal preferences. Mercedes-AMG with discrete suspensionThe Mercedes-AMG C 63 offers a special AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adjustable damping.
- The driver is able to influence the characteristics of the C 63 with four different AMG DYNAMIC SELECT driving modes.
- The C 63 S has an additional “RACE” driving mode.Efficient and lively enginesPowerful and efficient four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines with ECO start/stop function provide for sporty performance and driving pleasure. All are compliant with the Euro 6 emissions standard. Compared with their predecessors, they consume up to 20 percent less fuel.There are initially four petrol engines available for the Coupé. The output spectrum ranges from the 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine in the C 180 rated at 115 kW/156 hp to the two-litre C 200 (135 kW/184 hp) and C 250 (155 kW/211 hp) models and the C 300, likewise with a displacement of two litres but with an output of 180 kW/245 hp.The two diesel models are equipped with a further advanced four-cylinder unit developing 125 kW (170 hp) or 150 kW (204 hp). Both feature eco-friendly SCR technology (Selective Catalytic Reduction) for exhaust gas after treatment.
Power is sent to the road via either a 6-speed manual transmission, the 7G-TRONIC PLUS 7-speed automatic transmission or the new 9-speed 9G-TRONIC.
|C 220 d
|C 250 d
V8 Biturbo in the Mercedes-AMG C 63
The Mercedes-AMG Coupé C 63 delivers the hallmark AMG “Driving Performance” with a 4.0-litre twin-turbo eight-cylinder engine rated at 350 kW/476 hp (375 kW/510 hp in the C 63 S). It is characterised by two turbochargers positioned not on the outside of the cylinder banks, but inside the cylinder “V”. The key advantages of this design are compact dimensions, optimal throttle response and low exhaust emissions.
|C 63 S||3982||375/510||700||3.9||8.6||200|
Lighter, stiffer and stronger
Intelligent lightweight construction with a higher proportion of aluminium helps make the Coupé lighter than its predecessor. Light-alloy components include the wings, bonnet and boot lid. At the same time, the body is now much stiffer and stronger thanks to the use of high-strength materials, which has a positive effect on not only driving dynamics and noise levels but also crash safety. The Coupé therefore follows a Mercedes-Benz tradition in not only meeting all current national and international laws, but also all rating requirements as well as the more stringent internal Mercedes-Benz safety requirements, which are based on what actually happens in real-life accidents.
Against the wind
Mercedes-Benz is setting the pace in the field of aerodynamics and offers the cars with the best drag coefficients (Cd values) in almost all vehicle categories. The new C-Class Coupé boasts a Cd value of 0.26. This leading figure pays off above all when driving on country roads and motorways as wind resistance is greater than other forms of driving resistance at speeds above 70 km/h.
Driving safely, reducing stress
There is a host of safety and assistance systems based on the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive concept to choose from on board. ATTENTION ASSIST with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness, is included as standard. Further standard equipment includes COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS. Apart form a visual proximity warning and an additional audible collision warning, it includes Adaptive Brake Assist, which can help prevent collisions by boosting the brake pressure commensurate with the situation. When a danger of collision persists and the driver fails to respond, the system is able to carry out autonomous braking at speeds of up to 200 km/h, thereby reducing the severity of collisions with slower or stopping vehicles or, in the best-case scenario, even avoiding the collision altogether. At speeds of up to 50 km/h, the system also brakes in response to stationary vehicles and is thus able to help prevent rear-end collisions at up to 40 km/h.
Additional assistance systems with substantially expanded functions are optionally available, combining data from various sensor technologies such as radar sensors and a stereo camera as part of the Intelligent Drive concept to significantly enhance comfort and safety.
Airbags for safety
In addition to 3-point seat belts with pyrotechnical belt tensioning and belt-force limitation for driver, front passenger and rear passengers, numerous airbags serve to protect the vehicle’s occupants in an accident. Services include:
- Frontal protection systems: Adaptive front airbags for driver and front passenger, additionally with a kneebag on the driver’s side
- Side protection systems: Thorax/pelvisbags for driver and front passenger plus front and rear windowbags, with rear sidebags available as an option Climate control with satellite navigationThe air conditioning system in the new C-Class Coupé operates efficiently and ensures high air quality. As in the Saloon, it uses satellite navigation to detect tunnels. It therefore closes the air recirculation flap automatically when entering a tunnel and opens it again after exiting a tunnel. Vibrant infotainment experienceThe new multimedia generation offers intuitive controls with animations and visual effects. Frontbass ensures a listening experience almost on a par with a concert hall – especially if the car is equipped with the optionally available Burmester® sound system. The Frontbass system uses the space within the cross-member and side member in the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers. The navigation system, which supplies the driver with precise traffic information in real time (Live Traffic Information), displays its contents interactively. Its features include an animated compass and a “Drive Show” with information for passengers similar to the on-screen presentations aboard airliners. Extensive networking even in the basic versionA Bluetooth®-compatible mobile phone with data option and tethering feature is all it takes to make even the Audio 20 system internet-capable. This enables surfing the internet without restrictions when the vehicle is stationary. Mercedes-Benz Apps can be used while driving. Audio and video playback is possible from various sources. COMAND Online provides not only a larger display with a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels, it also allows digital TV/radio reception and, in addition to many other features, offers fast hard-disc navigation, integral W-LAN hotspot functionality and the LINGUATRONIC voice control system. The basic Audio 20 system as well as Audio 20 CD and COMAND Online all offer basic telephony as standard, which links up a mobile phone to the vehicle via a standardised Bluetooth® interface.
Mercedes connect me: connected with the car
Like other models, the new C-Class Coupé has an extensive range of free Standard Services and Remote Online Services available as part of the “Mercedes connect me” package. Standard Services include automatic emergency call (eCall), Accident Recovery, breakdown assistance and after-sales service. The Remote Online services (standard with COMAND online and usable free of charge for the first three years) allow access to vehicle information from anywhere at all times, including the status of windows and doors, mileage, tyre pressures and other diagnostic data. There is also a Vehicle Tracker function, remote door locking and unlocking, and remote auxiliary heating activation and deactivation. With the new Mercedes me app, this also works with iOS and Android smartphones as well as with the Apple Watch.