- CT 200h compact hybrid hatch? Check!
- LS 460 luxury sedan? Check!
- RX 350 mid-sized SUV? Check!
- LFA hypercar? Check!
F SPORT ROADBIKE? ummm Check!
In case your garage still has space for one more thing featuring a Lexus badge, there is a two-wheeler that is sure to tickle your techno fancy. And, guaranteed, it will be the rarest piece of Lexus gear in your collection.
You see, one of only 100 Lexus F SPORT ROADBIKES produced globally has just landed in SA. In the spirit of the legendary LFA, this state-of-the-art piece of cycling kit thoroughly incorporates the principles and philosophy of the legendary supercar and showcases the progressive styling and advanced technologies synonymous with the Lexus brand. While they will not initially be available to the public outside of Japan, Naoki Watanabe, Project Manager for Lexus International, has not ruled out this possibility for the future.
In order to ensure the highest level of Lexus quality, the workshop which created the LFA was chosen as the most appropriate facility to assemble the F SPORT ROADBIKE. After all, creating the best possible bike involves not only incorporating the highest quality parts and materials, but also thorough fine tuning in the build-up process. Each bike is meticulously assembled and checked by highly experienced Takumi technicians working to stringent standards. In particular, the frame paintwork is polished to LFA standards, achieving a quality finish far superior to the normal industry standards.
Speaking after a brief test of the Lexus F SPORT ROADBIKE, group brand ambassador and cycling specialist Andrew McLean of Cycle Lab said: “Seeing both the new F SPORT ROADBIKE and the LFA hypercar in the flesh I am struck by the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail. Both the road bike and the LFA are prime examples of their respective crafts.”
Turning attention to the construction materials, the frame which is crucial to achieving optimum road bike performance, uses the same CFRP (Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic) that is used in the LFA’s body. A very high level of technical skill is required for working with this overwhelmingly lightweight and robust material – important in ensuring the frame’s excellent flexibility and vibration damping characteristics. This in conjunction with the smoothness of the pedalling action – which is at the core of riding performance – feels great and enables the rider to use less leg strength when riding. Additionally, the excellent ride comfort helps to reduce the fatigue that tends to build up in the later stages of a long ride.
Other technological tour de forces include the Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 22-speed shifting mechanism which uses a leading-edge electric control system to provide swift and sure changes across virtually all conditions. Ditto the Shimano braking system: responding to the minutest movements of the brake lever, the brakes provide peerless braking feel and performance.
- Frame: UD Carbon, 3K plain, alloy dropout
- Front Fork: UD Carbon, 3K plain, tapered
- Head Badge: Aluminium machined
- Handlebar: 3T Ergonova Ltd UD Carbon
- Stem: 3T Apx Ltd UD Carbon
- Headset: FSA, Carbon top cap, tapered 1-1/2
- Saddle: Sele Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
- Seatpost: Carbon, 3K (Di2 Battery – built-in type)
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- ST Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 ST-9070
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-9000
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Cassette Gear: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000 11-speed 11-25T
- Pedals: Shimano PD-A530
- Crank/Chainrings: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000/50-34T
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace SM-BB9000
- Wheels: Shimano Dura-Ace WH-9000-C50-CL
- Tyres & Tubes: Panaracer Race Type A Evo2 & R-air tube