Johannesburg Boat Show 2013 a Must for Boating Industry
- August 8 -11, 2013, at the Johannesburg Expo Centre, Nasrec.
Anyone who is a player in the South African boating industry simply has to be at the 2013 Johannesburg Boat Show, to be held at Nasrec on August 8-11, 2013. That’s the opinion of Andre van Helsdingen, one of South Africa’s most successful boat builders, and a prime mover behind the acclaimed 2012 event, held at Nasrec last year. “If we had organised a show like this during the boom years of 2006 and 2007, the industry would still be on an all-time high,” said Van Helsdingen.
Lizbeth Plotz (Centre) and the Lowrance Team -
“As it is, I feel that the show we put on last year was world class, and it will be even better this year.” Van Helsdingen said that the amount of retail expertise South Africa has in it boat industry is unmatched anywhere he has been in the world.
“I have been to all the world’s major boat shows, in Miami, in Dusseldorf, in London. And the feeling I had at the Johannesburg Boat Show in 2012, the first show of its type, was the same I had at those international events. We can all be proud of that as an industry. The players in our industry really stepped up and invested hugely in the show.
“But I want to make the point that as far as direct sales related to the show are concerned, I think we knocked spots off those international shows at the Johannesburg Boat Show. I haven’t heard of a single boat show anywhere, where they did the retail numbers we did, directly linked to the show.”
Van Helsdingen says that if you are serious about buying a boat you simply have to be at the 2013 event, scheduled for the second weekend in August. The array of boat industry stands simply covers the entire industry.
“Where else can you find out about insurance, accessories, local boats, imported boats, all at one venue? And then there are the associated outdoor and motorcycling events that run concurrently with the show too.”
The inaugural Johannesburg Boat show last year, which combined with the AMiD Motorcycle Show and Outdoor Lifestyle Show, attracted a total of 189 exhibitors, and a total of 109 boats displayed at the three-day event in 2012.
This year the show will again be held just before spring in Johannesburg, the ideal time for boat buyers to make important purchasing decisions.
“Boats nowadays are not whim purchases, with the average price of a top-level boat being in the region of R400 000,” says Van Helsdingen.
“These days serious customers are very well informed, they do their homework before laying out that sort of money. What better place than to get a feel for the entire industry, than at the Johannesburg Boat Show, 2103?”
* The South African boat-building industry plays a large role in the country’s economy. According to the Marine Association of South Africa, the industry employs some 3 500 people employed in the field of boat-building, for both export and for the local market. Boat importers also employ a significant number of people, as do the distributors of outboard marine engines.
The two main movers behind the Johannesburg Boat Show, Andre van Helsdingen (left) and Dan Savadier
JOHANNESBURG BOAT SHOW
- WHEN: Thursday 8 - Sunday 11 August 2013
- SHOW HOURS: Thursday 8 – Saturday 10, 09:00 – 18:00, ticket sales and gates close at 17:00 Sunday 11, 09:00 – 16:00, ticket sales and gates close at 15:00
- Tickets are available at the gate or through Computicket.
- WHERE: Johannesburg Expo Centre, Rand Show Road, Nasrec. (GPS – S26° 14.810’ E27° 58.695’)