The Jaguar F-TYPE R Coupé, the most dynamically capable, performance-focused, production Jaguar ever, has made a dramatic debut in Los Angeles at Raleigh Studios.
The first glimpse the assembled 500 media, celebrities and customers at the exclusive reveal event saw of F-TYPE R Coupé was of it accelerating towards them before it passed under their grandstand into a hidden tunnel at full throttle.
Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar said: “Creating a sports Coupé is the purest of design tasks, and also the most challenging; get it right and aesthetically the result will be as dynamic as the car should be rewarding to drive. In F-TYPE Coupé, I believe we’ve got it right.
“The dramatic debut of the 405kW F-TYPE R Coupé in Los Angeles this evening – possibly the most dynamic reveal of a car ever – underlines its performance credentials.”
The F-TYPE Coupé model line-up is headlined by the F-TYPE R Coupé, its 405kW/680Nm 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine enabling acceleration from 0-100km/h in 4.2-seconds, and a top speed of 300km/h (limited). F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé models complete the range, powered respectively by 280kW and 250kW versions of Jaguar’s 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine, giving 0-100km/h in 4.9/5.3-seconds and top speeds of 260/275km/h.
The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing 2013 ‘World Car Design of the Year’ award-winning F-TYPE Convertible model line-up of F-TYPE, F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S.
- The new F-TYPE Coupé is the most dynamically capable, performance-focused, production Jaguar ever
- The model line-up is headlined by the F-TYPE R Coupé, its 405kW/680Nm 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine enabling acceleration from 0-100km/h in 4.2-seconds, and a top speed of 300km/h (limited)
- The F-TYPE R Coupé features Jaguar’s second-generation Electronic Active Differential which works in parallel with a new Torque Vectoring by braking system to deliver enhanced agility and exploitable handling at the limit
- F-TYPE Coupé builds on Jaguar’s industry-leading expertise in aluminium delivering torsional rigidity of 33,000 Nm/degree – it is the most torsionally rigid production Jaguar ever
- The all-aluminium F-TYPE Coupé embodies the uncompromised design vision of the award-winning C-X16 concept
- F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé models complete the range, powered respectively by 280kW and 250kW versions of Jaguar’s 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine, giving 0-100km/h in 4.9/5.3-seconds and top speeds of 260/275km/h
- A Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) braking system – featuring 398/380mm discs front/rear – is optional on both F-TYPE R and F-TYPE S Coupé models
- All engines drive the rear wheels through an eight-speed ‘Quickshift’ transmission with full manual sequential control via steering wheel-mounted paddles or the central SportShift lever
- The F-TYPE Coupé has up to 407-litres of boot space – easily accommodating two sets of golf clubs – the tailgate being available with power assisted opening
- The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing 2013 ‘World Car Design of the Year’ award-winning F-TYPE Convertible model line-up of F-TYPE, F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S
The all-aluminium F-TYPE Coupé – the most dynamically capable, performance-focused sports car that Jaguar has ever produced – is available in three versions:
F-TYPE R, F-TYPE S and the F-TYPE.
The range-topping F-TYPE R Coupé is powered by Jaguar’s 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine in 405kW/680Nm tune, delivering acceleration to 100km/h in 4.2-seconds, and a top speed of 300km/h (electronically limited).
The F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé are powered by Jaguar’s 3.0-litre V6 supercharged petrol engines in 280kW/460Nm and 250kW/450Nm forms respectively, giving 0-100km/h in 4.9/5.3-seconds and top speeds of 260/275km/h.
The F-TYPE Coupé embodies the uncompromised design vision of the stunning Jaguar C-X16 concept sports coupé that debuted at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, its dramatic cabin-rearward stance being defined by three heartlines. The first two heartlines – shared with F-TYPE Convertible – form the muscular front and rear wings, the third heartline being the sweeping Coupé roof profile which provides an unbroken silhouette while emphasising the visual drama of the tapered cabin sitting between powerful rear haunches.
Jaguar’s expertise in aluminium technology has enabled the design vision for the F-TYPE Coupé to be delivered in a lightweight yet extremely strong bodyshell. Torsional rigidity for all F-TYPE Coupé variants is 33,000 Nm/degree – greater than in any previous production Jaguar – this rigidity providing the basis for excellent dynamic attributes.
The F-TYPE Coupé’s body side is made from a single piece aluminium pressing, probably the most extreme cold-formed aluminium body side in the automotive industry, eliminating the requirement for multiple panels and cosmetic joints. The roof panel itself is available in either aluminium or panoramic glass form. A deployable rear spoiler sits within the tapered shut-line of the F-TYPE Coupé, while slim, wrap-around LED lamps flank a beautifully engineered tailgate, with optional powered open/close functionality.
To deliver assured, progressive handling in line with its 405kW output, the range-topping F-TYPE R Coupé features a bespoke suspension set-up and new dynamic technologies. These include a second-generation Electronic Active Differential (EAD) and – for the first time on a Jaguar – Torque Vectoring by braking, these systems working in parallel to provide immediacy of response and exploitable handling. The EAD system automatically redistributes engine torque between the rear wheels to ensure excellent on-the-limit control, while Torque Vectoring by braking intelligently applies precisely metered braking force to the inner wheels as necessary during cornering to enhance agility. Sports suspension with Adaptive Dynamics damping and Configurable Dynamic Mode further enhance the F-TYPE R’s immediacy of response, providing an exhilarating and involving driving experience.
F-TYPE R and F-TYPE S Coupé models also have the option of Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) brakes which offer absolute consistency of performance and excellent fade resistance, as well as a total unsprung-weight saving of 21kg.
Every F-TYPE Coupé model utilises Jaguar’s eight-speed close-ratio Quickshift transmission which is optimised for sporting performance, with full manual sequential control from the central SportShift selector or steering wheel-mounted paddles.
The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing three-car F-TYPE Convertible model line-up; the V6-engined F-TYPE (250kW) and F-TYPE S (280kW), and the 364kW F-TYPE V8 S.
“With F-TYPE Coupé, the Jaguar engineering team has exceeded our considerable target of building a car that delivers even more driver reward than the acclaimed F-TYPE Convertible. Engineering an exceptionally rigid all-aluminium Coupé body structure was the key to achieving this, as it’s the fundamental basis for enhanced dynamic attributes. The result is that the F-TYPE Coupé is the most dynamically capable and involving Jaguar we’ve ever built.”
Ian Hoban, Vehicle Line Director, Jaguar