ISUZU KB South Africa
New 6th Generation Isuzu KB Enters Market With Strong 26 Model Line-Up
The new 6th Generation Isuzu KB enters the highly competitive 1 ton pick-up market with a range of 26 distinct models to cater for the widest range of customer needs. The range includes a choice of 2,4 litre petrol powered Single and Double Cab models, low pressure turbo diesel power on Single Cab Base and Fleetside models, ideally placed for high mileage commercial and fleet users, and latest technology D-TEQ diesel power in 2,5 litre and 3,0 litre versions on Single Cab, Extended Cab, and Double Cab body styles.
“Buyers have a choice of four specification levels, Base, Fleetside (High Ride configuration), LE, and LX. All body styles offer at least one 4X4 option while those looking for the convenience of an automatic transmission are catered for with the KB 300 D-TEQ LX Auto in 4X2 configuration. A truly comprehensive choice to match the most diverse of customer requirements,’ says Malcolm Gauld, GMSA’s Vice President Vehicle Sales, Service, and Marketing.
Gauld says, “Common to all are a number of class leading features including a towing capacity of 3 500 kg on our top of the range D-TEQ 3,0 litre LX models. Across the range performance is excellent and achieved with remarkable economy, a hallmark of Isuzu’s renowned diesel technology.”
The introduction of the 6th Generation Isuzu KB to the local market marks the end of GMSA’s R1 billion investment on three new vehicle production programmes at the company’s production facility in Port Elizabeth. The new Isuzu KB joins the locally assembled Chevrolet Spark and the new Chevrolet Utility manufactured at Struandale.
The new Isuzu KB is a landmark vehicle for GMSA as it will be the first time that the company builds the Isuzu KB in both right and left hand drive derivatives for export into Sub-Saharan Africa.
Isuzu KB Engine options:
The 6th Generation Isuzu KB is offered with an all-new 2,4 litre petrol engine available on the Base, Fleetside (4X2 and 4X4), and LE models (4X2 and 4X4). This is a 4-valve per cylinder, double overhead camshaft engine with multi-point fuel injection. This Euro II emission specification engine produces maximum power of 112 kW @ 5200 r/min with 233 Nm of torque at 4000 r/min. The combined cycle fuel consumption for this engine as fitted to the new Isuzu KB is 10,4 l/100km with CO2 emissions of 245 g/km.
Next up in the engine range is the 2,5 litre low pressure turbo diesel engine available on the Base and Fleetside specifications. This engine provides 58 kW of power with 170 Nm of torque. The turbo configuration assists in producing lots of useable torque at low engine speed for excellent operating efficiency. This is an ideal choice for workhorse applications and is carried over from the previous model. Isuzu has received reports of this engine logging over 1 million kilometres in normal commercial usage.
The proven 2,5 litre D-TEQ engine is available on Base, Fleetside (4X2 and Safety Spec), and LE (Single and Double Cab 4X2 and 4X4) specification levels and produces 85 kW of power at 3600 r/min with maximum torque of 280 Nm. This maximum torque is available from just 1800 r/min. This engine offers excellent power, torque and operating economy derived from its advanced high-pressure, common rail fuel injection system and intercooled turbocharger. This engine is carried over from the previous model. Fuel consumption recorded for the combined cycle in engineering tests is 7,7 l/100km with CO2 emissions of 203 g/km. Low sulphur diesel (50ppm) is recommended for this engine.
The top engine in the new Isuzu KB range is the advanced 3,0 litre D-TEQ engine that is offered on LX specification models in all three body styles as either 4X2 or 4X4. This engine benefits from an upgrade for the new KB and now has maximum power of 130 kW – up by 10 kW – with 380 Nm of torque. This is an ideal engine for applications where high power and a flat torque curve are required, especially at sustained high speeds. A South African Bureau of Standards tested Best in Class fuel consumption of 7,7l/100km with CO2 emissions of 204g/km was achieved for this upgraded engine. Low sulphur diesel (50ppm) is recommended for this engine.
Key specification items at “Base” level – KB 240
- 6J X 15 steel rims fitted with 195 R15C tyres
- Tie down brackets in load box – 4
- Rope hooks on load box side – 10
- Collapsible steering column
- Transponder vehicle immobilizer system
- Datadot vehicle identification
- Interior courtesy lights
- Headlamp on warning buzzer
- Multi-reflector halogen headlights
- Split bench front seat with reclining mechanism
- PVC seat trim
- Vinyl floor trim
- 12V auxiliary power supply – X2
- Remote fuel flap
- Tinted side windows
- Radio ready for optional radio fitment
The Fleetside specification level adds the following items:
- High Ride configuration with overslung rear leaf springs
- Engine sump guard
- 6.5J X 16 wheels fitted with 205 R16C tyres
- Driver and front passenger airbags
- Seatbelt pre-tensioners
- Pollen filter
- Manual air conditioner
- Floor tunnel console with integrated cup holder
The Fleetside Safety specification level available on the KB 250 D-TEQ model adds:
- ABS anti-lock brakes
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution
- Brake Assist System
The ‘LE’ specification level adds further comfort and convenience items:
- 7J X 16 alloy wheels fitted with 245/70 R16C tyres
- Body colour radiator grille, bumpers, and side mirrors with side turn indicator
- ABS anti-lock brakes
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution
- Auto door unlock in case of an accident
- Remote control central locking
- Interior door unlock button
- Automatic door locking at 20 km/h
- Electric remote side mirrors
- Electrically operated side windows with express up and jam protection for driver
- RDS radio and front loading CD combination with MP3 compatibility, auxiliary port, USB, and iPod functionality and two speakers integrated mobile Bluetooth hands-free
- 4-speaker sound system
- Centre console box with lid
- Cloth seat trim
- Bucket type front seats
- Floor carpets
- Manual air conditioner with pollen filter
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Side steps (Double Cab)
- Storage pockets behind front seats (Double Cab)
The top of the range LX specification includes the following additional items:
- 7J X 17 alloy wheels fitted with 255/65 R17 AT tyres
- Projector type front headlamps
- LED combination rear tail light clusters
- Chrome radiator grille, door handles and side mirrors
- Side steps
- Leather covered steering wheel with multi-function controls
- Luxury cloth seat trim featuring a 6-way electrically adjustable drivers seat
- Rear seat centre armrest (Double cab)
- Cruise control
- Multi information display
- Electric remote adjustment with electrically operated retract function for side mirrors
- Park Distance Control
- 6-speaker sound system
- Steering wheel satellite controls for audio system
- Climate control air conditioning (Extended Cab and Double Cab)
- Front seat side airbags (Double Cab)
- Curtain side airbags (Double Cab)
The new Isuzu KB is covered by a 5 year/120 000km warranty with roadside assistance for the full warranty period.
Anti-corrosion warranty protection is for 5 years unlimited km.
Service intervals for all models, petrol and diesel, is 12 months or 15 000km. A 5 year/90 000km service plan is included in the purchase price.
All About the New Isuzu KB South Africa