The new Audi A6 range has been updated and upgraded with new engines, new transmissions, new headlights and a new infotainment system that makes this Audi sedan so much more efficient, so much more powerful, so much more attractive and so much more sophisticated than ever.
The new Audi A6 design epitomizes precision and sporty elegance. It was carefully honed as part of the model refresh, with changes made to the Singleframe grille, the headlights, air inlets, bumpers, side sills, rear lights and tailpipes. Audi optionally offers headlights with LED technology or Matrix LED technology, combined with dynamic turn signals.
Due to its intelligent composite construction concept, the body is extremely rigid and safe. Numerous components of aluminum and hot-shaped steel form the backbone of a systematic lightweight construction concept. The new Audi A6 1.8 TFSI has a curb weight (without driver) of just 1,535 kilograms. Luggage capacity is also generous, with the Audi A6 having 530 litres available.
Inside every detail documents the uncompromising level of quality familiar to Audi drivers. Elegant colours and carefully selected materials emphasize the refined design. The new Audi A6 is also way ahead of the competition when it comes to infotainment, with configurations ranging up to MMI navigation plus with MMI touch. The top-of-the-line navigation system with the power-retractable eight-inch monitor is now based on a new technology platform that uses the fast Tegra 30 graphics chip from Audi’s partner Nvidia. The supplemental module, Audi connect, brings tailored online services into the car as well as making the vehicle a Wi-fi hotspot.
The new Audi A6 also boasts a wide range of driver assistance systems, including adaptive cruise control with stop & go function. Audi side assist, which uses radar sensors to check blindspots when changing lanes, works closely together with Audi active lane assist, which prevents unintended lane changes. The night vision assistant now includes even more functions, with the Audi pre sense basic safety system available as an option. Customers are also able to specify the Audi A6 with a head-up display system.
Extensively updated: the engine lineup
The engine lineup for the new Audi A6 includes three TFSI units with output ranging between 140 kW and 331 kW and two TDI units. At the time of launching in South Africa in April 2015, there will only be the 1.8T FSI and S6 available, followed in June by the 3.0 TDI 160 kW
S tronic. The 2.0T FSI quattro S tronic will be introduced locally in July 2015, followed by the 2.0 TDI S tronic towards the end of the year. All multitronic CVT transmissions which were available previously have now been replaced by S tronic transmission.
This is the first time that the Audi A6 will be available with a four cylinder 1.8T FSI engine in South Africa which provides customers with a lower price entry point into the C segment. The engine will produce 140 kW of power and 320 Nm and will be coupled with a S tronic transmission. Combined fuel consumption is claimed at 5.8 litres per 100km and CO2 emissions of 138 g/km.
The 3.0 TDI engine available in June will produce 160 kW and 400 Nm of torque. It has a combined fuel consumption of just 4.8 litres per 100 km and also produces extremely low CO2 emissions of only 124 g/km.
The new Audi S6 is quite simply a sports car for everyday. The 4.0 TFSI, a bi-turbo V8 producing an uprated 331 kW, accelerates the Sedan from 0 to 100 km/ in 4.4 seconds. Average fuel consumption is just 9.2 litres per 100 with the equivalent of 214 g/km of CO2. This efficiency is due in large part to the cylinder on demand (COD) system, which only activates four of the eight cylinders when under partial load. Standard equipment in the new Audi S6 includes full LED headlights, quattro permanent all-wheel drive and the adaptive air suspension, which lowers the body by 20 millimetres.
Audi A6 1.8T FSI (140 kW), 2.0 TDI (140 kW) and 3.0 TDI (160 kW):
- Audi drive select with efficiency mode
- Xenon plus headlights (new)
- 4-spoke multifunction leather steering wheel
- Exterior chrome package for the front grille (new)
- USB interface for connecting external media devices (new)
- Audi sound system
- 18-inch, 5-twin spoke, V design alloy wheels (new)
- Partial leather
- Interior mirror with auto anti-glare action
- Parking aid plus (front and rear)
- Cruise control
- Automatic air conditioning
- Bluetooth interface
- Electrically adjustable exterior mirrors, heated
- Interior lighting package
- Sideguard airbag system
Audi A6 2.0T FSI quattro S tronic (185 kW):
The Audi A6 2.0T FSI 185kW features the same equipment as above with the following additions:
- quattro all-wheel drive
- Leather-covered, multifunction sports steering wheel, in 3-spoke design with shift paddles
- Front electrically operated seats with memory function for both seats (new)
- 19-inch alloy wheels (new)
- Parking system plus with reverse camera (new)
Audi S6 4.0T FSI 331 kW quattro S tronic:
The Audi S6 features the same equipment as above with the following additions:
- Full LED headlights (new)
- MMI Navigation plus with Audi connect
- Inlays in dulled aluminium
- Split rear seat
- Audi Drive Select with efficiency mode
- 4 zone air-conditioner
- Storage package
- Alcantara / leather seat trim on sports front seats
- Aluminium exterior mirror housing
- 4 corner air suspension – sport
- 3 spoke multi-function steering wheel with S tronic controls
- 19-inch, 5 parallel “S” design alloy wheels
How much will the new Audi cost in South Africa?
The Audi A6 will only be available at launch with two models, the Audi A6 1.8T FSI and the S6 4.0T FSI quattro. The pricing for the entire range, including the models arriving thereafter, will be priced as follows:
- Audi A6 1.8T FSI 140 kW S tronic: R 601 000
- Audi A6 2.0TDI 140 kW S tronic: R 631 500* (November 2015)
- Audi A6 3.0TDI 160 kW S tronic: R 689 000 (June 2015)
- Audi A6 2.0T FSI 185 kW quattro S tronic: R 749 500 (July 2015)
- Audi S6 4.0T FSI 331 kW quattro S tronic: R 1 054 500
* Indicative pricing
All prices are inclusive of VAT and the standard Audi Freeway Plan (5-year/100 000km).