Dakar 2012, Stage 1 Mar del Plata – Santa Rosa de la Pampa 763 km in total, 57 km special test
DAKAR 2012: Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain takes no chances
Avoiding unnecessary risks and finding one´s feet in the race – that has been the motto for the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain in the opening stage of the Dakar 2012. The first special test proved to be fast, dusty and littered with holes. Because of the sometimes dangerous conditions it was important to ride cautiously.
The time differences after 57 km were small. Joan Barreda headed the five-man team, placing sixth on the day.
The 28-year-old Spaniard came from 23th position early on. Teammate Paulo Goncalves rode defensively.
“I wanted to avoid any risk and rather warm myself up for the following days,” the Portuguese said. This smart approach was also taken by Zé Hélio, Ike Klaumann and Jose Manuel Pellicer, who all completed the inaugural stage not far behind the leaders.
Tomorrow marks the first real endurance test. The riders have to cover a distance of almost 800 km. The special stage alone offers 295 km. The course is expected to be fast at first, then leading through the dunes of El Nihuil and a spectacular volcano area.
Dakar 2012, Stage 1
1. Francisco Lopez (CHI) Aprilia
2. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 0:14 min behind
3. Javier Pizzolito (ARG) Honda, 0:27
6. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 0:57
16. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 1:57
28. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 3:32
33. Ike Klaumann (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:56
37. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 5:29