FTA SAYS LET THE GAMES BEGIN
fter years of preparing for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, it’s time now for the freight industry to put their plans into practice.
Following today’s Opening Ceremony at the Olympic Park, 4 million extra visitors will descend on London and the other Games venues across the 16-day sporting spectacle.
With 16,000 athletes, 1,027 Games Families, 40,000 members of the world’s media and potentially 80,000 people filling the Olympic stadium on a daily basis; all of which will have to be fed and watered throughout the event, and it is the job of the logistics industry to help deliver the ultimate visitor experience to the capital.
It’s essential to keep the supply chain moving throughout the Olympics; from fresh produce arriving in restaurants, ensuring the supermarket shelves are kept stocked, and not forgetting the clean up operation after each day as the visitors retire for the night.
With the Games Lanes and Olympic Route Network (ORN) in operation, coupled with the re-phasing of traffic lights throughout London, the already busy roads around the capital have become further congested. FTA joined one of its members - DHL which works in partnership with Iceland - on a delivery to the capital to discover how they plan to cope: FTA.co.uk
FTA has been heavily involved in the extensive planning ahead of the Olympics, helping its 14,000 members get ahead of the Games, and is set to continue to provide support for them throughout in many ways.
Natalie Chapman, FTA’s Head of Policy – London said
“FTA has been helping the industry over the last few years to plan for the Games, now they are finally here, we have to be ready for the unexpected. There will be vehicle breakdowns, collisions, burst water mains and protests – all of which will impact on London’s congested road network. FTA has developed a range of tools to inform and advise members as to when the unexpected happens.”
FTA Olympic support:
- A dedicated FTA Olympic microsite - fta.co.uk/olympics
- An Olympics app for iPhone and android
- Regular bulletins and alerts from Transport for London
- Live traffic updates to offices, laptops and drivers’ smartphones
- Model letters to brief drivers and staff for any changed working conditions over the summer that make sure you cover the legal ground
- A dedicated FTA Olympic Advisor in the FTA Member Advice Centre
- An Olympics support guide and various helpful downloads
- Pre-printed cards for drivers reminding them of the new signs they will encounter and the rules for use of the ORN
- Support and guidance on night-time deliveries