FORD TO INTRODUCE 15 NEW BEST-IN-CLASS FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES THIS YEAR
- Ford will introduce 15 new vehicles in Europe in 2012 that achieve best-in-class fuel efficiency; new petrol and diesel powertrains and Ford ECOnetic Technologies are key enablers
- Half of new Ford cars will carry the ECOnetic Technology badge by the end of this year, which means they are leaders or among the very best in fuel efficiency in their segment
- Ford will provide one of the industry’s most comprehensive ranges of sub-100 g/km CO2 cars; nine different vehicle powertrain combinations to be offered
Brentwood, Essex, June 21, 2012 – Ford is leveraging its range of efficient EcoBoost petrol engines, TDCi diesel engines and low CO2 ECOnetic Technologies to introduce 15 new models in Europe in 2012 that are best-in-class for fuel efficiency*.
By the end of 2012, Ford of Europe also will have one of the largest portfolios of cars in the industry with CO2 emissions of under 100g/km, including six Fiesta models (three diesel, three petrol) and two Focus diesel models. Ford also will launch its first ever all-electric, zero-emission passenger vehicle this year – the Focus Electric.
“The introduction of our new EcoBoost petrol engines has really helped us to go further in our drive to reduce our total fleet CO2 emissions, while still delivering great performance and driving dynamics,” said Sherif Marakby, Ford of Europe, director of Powertrain Engineering. “Add top-notch diesel engines and our range of low CO2 ECOnetic Technologies that are spreading to more and more vehicles all the time, and we are now delivering a comprehensive range of efficiency leaders to European customers.”
Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, recently named winner of the “International Engine of the Year” award, is the driving force behind nine of the 15 new models with class-leading fuel efficiency.
The already available best-in-class 100PS and 125PS versions of Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost, with CO2 of 109g/km and 114g/km respectively, will soon be joined two models of all-new B-MAX and four models of C-MAX and Grand C-MAX**.
Ford’s new ST performance cars will also deliver leading fuel efficiency in its class with EcoBoost engines, which leverage turbocharging and direct injection. Focus ST, on sale later this summer, will produce 250PS from a 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine, but emit just 169g/km CO2.
Ford TDCi diesel engines will also help Ford’s commercial vehicles, the Transit and the Ranger, offer unsurpassed levels of efficiency and emissions, including the 1-tonne and passenger bus versions of new Transit out-performing their rivals, emitting just 174g/km and 168g/km of CO2 respectively.
A 1.6-litre TDCi engine has already helped the Focus ECOnetic Technology to be Ford’s most fuel-efficient ever Focus, with best-in-class figures of 88g/km of CO2 and 3.4l/100km (83.1mpg). That utilizes the full range of Ford ECOnetic Technologies, including Auto-Start-Stop, Smart Regenerative Charging, Active Grille Shutter, Eco Mode, shift indicator light, and optimised gear ratios. Lower suspension, wheel deflectors and low-rolling resistance tyres reduce driving resistances.
It also features a special catalytic converter called a lean NOx trap to help reduce CO2 emissions by facilitating a leaner combustion process using a higher proportion of air to fuel. Special undershields for optimal aerodynamics and a water-cooled charge air cooler add further efficiencies.
The increasing use of Ford ECOnetic Technologies and continuing success of Ford’s EcoBoost and diesel engines has put the company firmly on track to achieving its fuel efficiency and CO2 emission targets in the coming years.
Ford’s Best-In-Class Fuel Efficient Vehicles of 2012
- Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost 100PS
- Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost 125PS
- Focus 1.6-litre ECOnetic Technology 88g
- Focus ST 2.0-litre EcoBoost 250PS
- B-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 100PS
- B-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 120PS
- B-MAX 1.6-litre TDCi
- C-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 100PS
- C-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 125PS
- Grand C-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 100PS
- Grand C-MAX 1.0-litre EcoBoost 125PS
- Transit Custom 2.2-litre TDCi 1-tonne
- Transit Tourneo Custom 2.2-litre TDCi
Plus further 2 Ford Fiesta variants available from Q4 2012.
* Means best fuel economy compared to vehicles in the same category and power level as well as type of powertrain (petrol or diesel).
** All fuel consumption and CO2 emissions figures in g/km are from officially approved tests in accordance with EC Directive 93/116/EC. Fuel economy figures quoted are based on the European Fuel Economy Directive EU 80/1268/EEC and will differ from fuel economy drive cycle results in other regions of the world.