Ford Motor Company Launches Operation Goodwill Southern California with $1 Million Investment
- Ford Motor Company Fund announces donations totaling $1 million through December 2013 as part of its Operation Goodwill partnership with local Ford dealers
- Donations are targeted to organizations supporting education, health and safety
- American Red Cross receives grant and Ford Transit Connect van to support disaster relief and preparedness
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 2, 2012 – Ford Motor Company and its community relations arm, Ford Motor Company Fund (Ford Fund), today announced the launch of its Operation Goodwill Southern California and the investment of $1 million now through December 2013 for community initiatives and charitable organizations throughout the region.
The announcement was made with Ford’s longtime partner, the American Red Cross, during the Red Cross Youth Run for PrepareSoCal with actor Josh Duhamel. The two-mile run on Santa Monica Beach – geared for youth and their families – brings attention to disaster preparedness and raises money for relief efforts.
“The launch of our Operation Goodwill Southern California partnership with our local dealers allows us to further strengthen our relationship with valued nonprofit partners such as the American Red Cross,” said Jim Vella, president, Ford Motor Company Fund and Community Services. “We are investing $1 million in the education, health and safety of our community here in Los Angeles during the next year.”
Ford Motor Company is one of a select group of companies in the Red Cross Disaster Responder program that pledges donations on an ongoing basis in advance of major disasters, which helps the Red Cross ensure an immediate response to meet the needs of those affected by disasters of all sizes, at no cost and regardless of income.
“The American Red Cross is grateful for the generous support Ford Fund is providing to the PrepareSoCal Youth Run,” said Julie Tomas, chief executive officer, American Red Cross of Santa Monica. “Hurricane Sandy has taught us that in the first days after a major disaster, we and our neighbors will most likely be the first responders. Ford’s involvement in the PrepareSoCal Youth Run will make a difference in the preparedness of our community throughout southern California.”
In addition to grant funding, Ford is donating a Transit Connect van to the American Red Cross to help deliver disaster preparedness backpacks to students throughout Los Angeles.
Other community initiatives in greater Los Angeles supported by Ford Fund include:
- Workshops in underserved Hispanic communities by Alliance for a Better Community to help parents navigate the education system and become advocates for their children
- Mobile health clinics which provide free medical checkups to elementary students in underserved populations, operated by Mary Medical Centers
- Grammy in the Schools workshops for local students interested in musical careers
Also, Ford Fund is bringing its award-winning, signature programs to southern California including Ford Driving Skills for Life, the nation’s most comprehensive teen safe driving program. Sponsored in partnership with the Governors Highway Safety Association, the program includes free professional driver instruction, a Web-based curriculum, free educational materials, state grants and statewide education partnerships. This program is scheduled to be in Los Angeles in February 2013.
For more information on Operation Goodwill, please contact Mary Brown at