Euro NCAP Ford Focus is Best in Class Small Family Car
- Euro NCAP, the independent car safety organization, named the Ford Focus Europe’s “Best in Class” small family car
- The organization cited the Focus’ five-star Euro NCAP rating and four Euro NCAP Advanced rewards for safety features, a record for a mass market car
- New Ford Ranger, the safest pickup Euro NCAP has ever tested, earned special praise highlighting its achievement as the only pickup to achieve a maximum five-star rating
BRENTWOOD, UK, Feb. 7, 2012 – Euro NCAP, Europe’s leading authority on auto safety, named the Ford Focus the “Best in Class” small family car in recognition of the vehicle’s crash test rating and advanced safety technology.
The Focus scooped one of only five best in class awards accolades on the strength of its maximum five-star Euro NCAP rating as well as four Euro NCAP Advanced rewards last year, an achievement which is unmatched by any other high-volume car.
Euro NCAP also made special mention of the new Ford Ranger after it became the safest pickup yet tested by the organisation, achieving the only five-star Euro NCAP rating ever awarded to a pickup. The Ranger scored highly in all areas of assessment, receiving particular credit for pedestrian protection.
“This award has special meaning because designing and building the safest vehicles possible is a core value at Ford,” said Stephen Odell, chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. “The Focus exemplifies our approach to design cars that both help drivers avoid accidents and protect them when one is inevitable.”
The Focus five-star rating was achieved through an adult occupant score of 92 percent, child occupant rating of 82 percent, pedestrian score of 72 percent and safety assist rating of 71 percent.
The Focus received Euro NCAP Advanced rewards for these four technologies:
- Driver Alert, designed to detect driver fatigue
- Forward Alert, which uses radar technology to scan the road ahead and alerts the driver if a collision is likely,
- Active City Stop, which helps to avoid or mitigate accidents at low speeds, and
- Lane Keeping Aid technologies, which warn drivers and assists drivers who unintentionally stray from their lane.