Dakar 2014 Rally – GWM Moves Up
GWM/Haval moves up in Stage 8 of Dakar
With another solid run during Stage 8 of the 2014 Dakar, Christian Lavieille clocked the tenth fastest time, good enough to see the Number 315 Haval H8 move up to ninth place overall. Lavieille’s next target is Marek Dabrowski (Toyota) who is about 30 minutes ahead in eighth place overall.
Stage 8, which saw competitors compete over a 302 km course stretching from Salta to Calama, was won by the Mini driver Nasser Al-Attiyah. Front runner Nani Roma, also in a Mini, had two punctures and lost about eight minutes of his lead to second-placed Stephane Peterhansel (Mini) who again finished second on the day. Spain’s Carlos Sainz finished the stage in third place in his SMG Buggy.
The next phase of the 2014 Dakar rally, described by some competitors as the most gruelling ever, will see the racing machines head into the Atacama dunes.
The Dakar 2014 standings following Stage 8:
- Roma/Perin #304 (Mini) = 29 hours 46 minutes 8 seconds
- Peterhansel/Cottret #300 (Mini) + 23 minutes 46 seconds
- De Villiers/Zitzewitz #302 (Toyota) + 48 minutes 25 seconds
- Terranova/Fiuza #307 (Mini) + 51 minutes 55 seconds
- Al-Attiyah/Cruz #301 (Mini) + 1 hour 9 minutes 5 seconds
- Sainz/Gottschalk #303 (SMG Buggy) + 1 hour 43 minutes 59 seconds
- Holowczyc/Zhiltsov #309 (Mini) + 2 hours 29 minutes 22 seconds
- Dabrowski/Czachor #328 (Toyota) + 2 hours 47 minutes 8 seconds
- Lavieille/Garcin #315 (GWM/Haval) + 3 hours 14 minutes 43 seconds
* Haval is the premium SUV division of GWM.