- The average recovery time for a stolen vehicle fitted with a CobraTrak tracking system is just 54 minutes
- A car is stolen every six minutes in the UK according to a 2011 survey conducted by the ACPO Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (AVCIS)
- 81 per cent of all high value car thefts occurred as a result of criminals gaining access to car keys through house burglaries, car jackings or assaults*
- Over 50% of all stolen vehicles are never recovered**
- Cobra reports year-on-year increase in active subscribers to its stolen vehicle tracking services
Cobra UK, a leader in vehicle safety and security solutions, has reported an improvement in the average vehicle recovery time for its CobraTrak vehicle tracking customers. Cobra’s figures for 2011 show that the average time from a CobraTrak customer confirming a vehicle as stolen to the time it has been secured by police has reduced to just 54 minutes from 57 minutes.
CobraTrak products can be installed on new or used cars, provide peace of mind and can protect insurance premiums. A car is stolen every six minutes in the UK according to a 2011 survey conducted by the ACPO Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (AVCIS). In addition, 81 per cent of all high value car thefts occurred as a result of criminals gaining access to car keys through house burglaries, car jackings or assaults*.Cobra is warning drivers to stay vigilant and offering its top tips on how to deter car thieves.
Ensure car keys are kept in a secure place, out of view in your home at all times. Never leave car keys in a porch or near the front door – professional thieves frequently obtain car keys by simply hooking them up through letterboxes
- Lock away any spare sets of car keys in a secure cupboard when on holiday without your vehicle
- Never leave your car with the keys in it, even on your own driveway. Many vehicles are targeted during winter months when drivers warm vehicles up outside their homes in the morning. Remember scenarios such as this can invalidate insurance policies!
- It is always better if you can carry your keys on your person rather than a handbag or wallet. Also avoid leaving car keys in jacket pockets when hanging coats in restaurant or bar cloakrooms
- Make sure all your house doors and downstairs windows are locked at all times if you are in another part of the property
- Keep your car in a secure, off-road environment such as a residential garage if possible
- If your vehicle is stored on a driveway ensure you install a security light to act as a theft deterrent
- Fit an alarm and/or tracking system to your vehicle.
“Car theft is still a very prevalent problem in the UK and we have seen subscribers to our Cobra tracking services increase over the last 12 months,” says Andrew Smith, Managing Director, Cobra UK Ltd. “With high value cars stolen to order, being a specific target for organised car thieves, it is worth investing in a vehicle tracking product, especially as many vehicles stolen to order are transported abroad within 48 hours. We supply to many of the leading manufacturers of top marque vehicles and also offer aftermarket solutions.”
“As 50% of stolen cars are never recovered we would recommend reviewing your vehicle’s security to see what is fitted as standard. It may be that a Cobra tracking system or a better quality immobiliser or alarm is a vital option for you to ensure your pride and joy is kept secure from car thieves. It could reduce your insurance premium at the same time!”
Cobra UK offers two Thatcham accredited vehicle tracking products, CobraTrak Plus and CobraTrak 5, and both are available with a web tracking upgrade including the ability to set a geofence zone around your vehicle and receive an alert should the vehicle exit the zone. CobraTrak uses the latest GPS/GPRS/GSM technology to locate a vehicle to within ten metres. Cobra’s network of 24 hour monitoring centres across 39 European countries, Russia and South Africa commence live tracking when a theft is reported and liaise with police authorities in local language to recover the vehicle quickly and minimise the likelihood of damage.
Through its CobraTrak and NavTrak brands, Cobra is the European market leader for stolen vehicle tracking. The company supplies stolen vehicle tracking and recovery services at a pan-European level to Audi, Bentley, Ferrari, Infiniti, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Renault,
Rolls-Royce Phantom and Tesla.
Cobra is also the supplier of many of the world’s most advanced standard fit vehicle security systems. Cobra vehicle alarms and immobilisers are all Thatcham approved and recognised by the UK’s major insurers, who may offer a reduced insurance group rating or premium discount.