Climate control in the Mercedes-Benz Estate C-Class
Signals from space
The climate control system in the new C-Class Estate has been fine-tuned and substantially improved. This applies in particular to the precise regulation, performance and the air quality.
Two climate control systems are available for the new C-Class Estate:
- THERMATIC as a two-zone automatic climate control system with separate controls for driver and front passenger is installed in all other models and also optionally available. (standard)
- The THERMOTRONIC three-zone automatic climate control is optionally available, the only real such system in this segment. In addition to separate controls for the driver and front passenger, it provides the option of setting the temperature and airflow in the rear compartment. THERMOTRONIC furthermore has a residual engine heat function, which thanks to an electric auxiliary water pump allows residual heat operation when the ignition is switched off. It also offers a choice of three ventilation modes: Medium, Focus, Diffuse. In addition the system is equipped with a pollutant sensor to automatically switch to air recirculation mode. (optional)
The performance, air quality and control precision were considerably improved over the preceding model series. The two-zone automatic climate control has separate settings for the left and right, and also for the rear if THERMOTRONIC is specified. However, instead of channelling the air to the rear via an air duct as is customary, it also has its own blower in the centre console. This lets rear-seat passengers dial in their own feel-good climate.
Three different ventilation modes are available with THERMOTRONIC to account for the subjective individual comfort of the vehicle occupants:
- "Medium Air flow" is the standard setting.
- "Diffuse Air flow" is designed for minimum air flow and not aimed directly at the occupants; the air primarily flows from the defrost vents and footwell vents into the passenger compartment.
- "Focused Air flow" operates with more air which primarily flows from the nozzles of the ventilation level.
The climate control system works even more efficiently
The climate control system of the new C-Class for the first time uses a new energy-efficient generation of blower motors. They weigh about 35 percent less than conventional blower motors and save a good 30 percent of energy, which in average customer operation translates into about 0.3 g of CO2/km. Their compact size also provides substantial benefits with regards to installation space. Energy-efficient control is also a factor in the efficiency of the climate control system.
Individual fragrance, ionised air
Another highlight for creating the feel-good atmosphere is the optionally available AIR-BALANCE package with active fragrancing, ionisation and even more efficient filtration compared with the standard model.
The interior fragrances extend the sensuous perception of the Mercedes-Benz interior and help individualise the smell of the interior. Four different fragrances are available. The fragrancing changes the interior smell neither permanently, nor are the fragrance molecules deposited on the vehicle's fabric surfaces or on clothing. The impression left by the fragrance is subtle, comes across as unobtrusive and fades away quickly. The vehicle occupants can switch the active fragrancing on and off, and adjust its intensity to their own preferences.
Ionisation is another component of the AIR-BALANCE package, with which the air from the air conditioning is conducted into the interior via the ioniser. The ioniser generates oxygen ions by means of high voltage. The air ionised in this way can eliminate certain viruses, bacteria and spores. At the same time the air can be freshened by an increased concentration of negatively charged oxygen ions. Both help to increase the well-being of passengers.
3D Car Shows on Google+
The 3D Car Shows site, spesialize in Automotive News. On the 3D Car Shows site you will find information about the Automotive Industry, Cars, Trucks, Vehicles and Motorcycles.
Here at 3D Car Shows we are committed to bringing you quality daily and relevant information about the Automotive Industry