Chrysler Canada: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth Safety
January 12, 2012 , Montreal, Que. - State-of-the-art connectivity and more than 35 safety and security features keep passengers of the new 2012 Fiat® 500 Abarth connected, comfortable and secure.
Seven standard air bags on the Fiat Abarth
The new 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth features an all-new air bag system to offer unique protection for its passengers to meet all North American regulatory requirements. Its seven standard air bags include: driver and front-passenger advanced multi-stage air bags, driver’s knee air bag, full-length side-curtain air bags and standard seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags, all offer enhanced occupant protection to all occupants in the event of a collision.
Abarth-tuned three-mode Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The new Fiat 500 Abarth features a unique three-mode Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system standard for improved braking performance in wet or panic conditions.
The Abarth-tuned ESC system features a three-mode calibration including “ESC On” to “ESC Partial Off” and “ESC Full Off.”
When the system is set “ESC On” (default) or “ESC Partial On,” the ESC system is ready to intervene by integrating key chassis control systems including Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and Traction Control Systems (TCS) to control all four wheels in response to yaw and steering input.
In effect, ESC determines the driver’s intentions and adjusts the vehicle’s dynamic forces to maintain the driver’s intended course. Should the driver exceed the performance limits of the road surface – such that the vehicle starts to oversteer or understeer – ESC instantly analyzes input from the wheel sensors and corrects the pending loss of control by applying any one, several or all of the system’s disc brakes.
More than 35 available safety and security features
The following is a list of the new 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth’s more than 35 available safety and security features which include:
- Active turn signals: Turn signal flashes three times when stalk is depressed for 1 second to indicate a lane change (standard)
- Advanced multi-stage air bags: Inflates with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact. In addition, the Fiat 500 Abarth’s unique driver’s air bag design includes tethers to shape the air bag. The passenger air bag has a unique air bag venting system, allowing one vent of the air bag to remain open while the air bag is fully inflating. A secondary vent is actuated as the passenger contacts the air bag at the end of a crash event, offering protection of passengers of all sizes (standard)
- All-speed traction control: Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during all speeds by applying individual brakes alone or in combination with engine torque limitation to prevent wheel slip (standard)
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS): Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions (standard)
- BeltAlert: Activates a chime and/or illuminates an icon in the instrument cluster to remind the driver and front passenger to buckle up if the Fiat 500 Abarth is driven without belted front-seat occupants (standard)
- Bi-halogen projector headlamps: Provides wider, more focused light spread and improves forward visibility at night (standard)
- Blue&Me™ Hands-free Communication technology: Provides an in-vehicle, voice-activated communication system that allows the driver to operate a Bluetooth®-compatible phone while keeping his or her hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Using a series of voice commands, the driver can place phone calls, access the phone’s address book or listen to MP3s (standard)
- Brake Assist: In an emergency brake situation, the system applies maximum braking power, minimizing the stopping distance (standard)
- Brake Override: When a disagreement exists between the throttle and the brake, the brake signal causes the engine controller to reduce engine power, allowing the operator to stop the 500 Abarth (standard)
- Brake-traction control system (BTCS): Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during slow speeds by applying individual brakes to the slipping wheel(s) (standard)
- Child seat anchor system: LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) is designed to ease installation of compatible aftermarket child seats (standard)
- Constant-force Retractors (CFR): Regulates the force exerted on the occupant by the seat belt and then gradually releases seat-belt webbing in a controlled manner. The system features a digressive load limiter for the driver and adaptive load limiter for the front passenger (standard)
- Crumple zones: Designed to deform during an accident in order to absorb energy from an impact which decreases transfer of that energy to occupants (standard)
- Daytime running lamps (DRL): Provides additional forward illumination for improved vehicle awareness (standard)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC): Enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. Provides the benefit in critical driving situations, such as turns, and is valuable when driving on mixed-surface conditions, including snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between driver input through the steering wheel and the Fiat 500 Abarth’s path, ESC applies selective braking and throttle input to guide the vehicle back on to the driver’s intended path (standard)
- Energy management system: Three front load paths designed from high-strength steel manage vehicle crush and minimize cabin intrusion (standard)
- Express down windows: One-touch driver and passenger express down window button located on the centre console (standard)
- Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS): Features a shut-off valve and an inertia switch to immediately stop the electric fuel pump to prevent fuel loss in the case of an impact, roll-over or damage to fuel lines (standard)
- Full-length side-curtain air bags: Extends protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers. Each side air bag has its own impact sensors that autonomously trigger the air bag on the side where an impact occurs. This type of air bag is housed in the headliner just above the side windows (standard)
- Head restraints: Includes all seating positions (standard)
- Hill-start Assist (HSA): Assists drivers when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the level of brake pressure applied for a short period of time after a driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal. If throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the driver’s foot is removed from the brake pedal, brake pressure will be released (standard)
- Intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Continually measures the flow of current into and out of the battery. If the battery is running low, the system intelligently shuts off less critical electrical systems to help prevent a customer being stranded due to a low or depleted battery. When IBS conducts load shedding, an icon appears in the cluster display (standard)
- Knee air bag (driver’s side): Located below the instrument panel, air bag deploys when the driver’s air bag deploys and is designed to properly position the occupant during impact and offer additional lower leg protection (standard)
- Occupant restraint controller (ORC): Detects an impact and determines whether a crash is severe enough to trigger air bag deployment and whether the primary or secondary stage inflation is sufficient. In addition, the controller detects side impacts and determines whether the rail-curtain and side seat-mounted (pelvic-thorax protection) air bags should deploy. Engagement of front-seat belt pretensioners are also managed through the controller (standard)
- Remote keyless entry: Locks and unlocks doors and turns on interior lamps. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional security alarm, the remote also arms and disarms that system (standard)
- Safety cage body structure: Protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact (standard)
- Seat-belt pretensioners: During a collision, impact sensors initiate front seat belt pretensioners to remove slack in the seat-belt system, thereby reducing the forward movement of the occupant’s head and torso (standard)
- Sentry Key® engine immobilizer: Uses a key fob that has an embedded transponder with a preprogrammed security code to shut off the engine after a few seconds and discourage vehicle theft (standard)
- Seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags: Provide enhanced protection to the driver and front outboard passenger in certain impacts. Each side air bag has its own impact sensors that autonomously trigger the air bag on the side where an impact occurs. Standard side air bags are housed within the outboard side of each front seat (standard)
- Side guard door beams: Provide occupant protection during a side impact (standard)
- Smart pedals: The pedal assembly moves out of the way in the event of an impact to help protect the driver’s feet and legs (standard)
- Three-point seat belts: Front seating positions and all rear seating positions have lap and shoulder belts (standard)
- Tilt steering column: Allows steering column to achieve a safe and comfortable driving position (standard)
- Tire-pressure monitoring (TPM): Informs driver when tire pressure is too low. Pressure-sensor modules within the valve stems of all four road wheels send continuous radio-frequency signals to a receiver and the system. Individual tire pressure can be displayed in the EVIC (standard)
- TomTom® Navigation with Blue&Me™ Hands-free Communication technology: This innovative navigation system adds a 4.3-inch touchscreen TomTom handheld navigation unit to the standard Blue&Me Hands-free Communication system. The system features an instrument-panel docking system for added driver convenience, voice activation commands and more than 7 million points of interest
- Vehicle theft security alarm: Deters vandalism and theft, frequently lowering insurance premiums. System protects the vehicle from theft by monitoring door-ajar switches and the ignition circuit for unauthorized entry.
3D Car Shows on Google+
The 3D Car Shows site, spesialize in Automotive News. On the 3D Car Shows site you will find information about the Automotive Industry, Cars, Trucks, Vehicles and Motorcycles.
Here at 3D Car Shows we are committed to bringing you quality daily and relevant information about the Automotive Industry