Chevrolet Utility: Diesel Power For Chevrolet Utility Range Plus Added Safety Specification For Base And Club Models
- Chevrolet Utility range expanded to 10 models
- High efficiency diesel engine added to range
- Safety specification enhanced with addition of ABS to Base AC and Club models
General Motors South Africa (GMSA) has announced the addition of three diesel powered variants to its popular Chevrolet Utility range to provide customers with a choice of 10 models with a range of engine and trim options to match a wide spectrum of customer choice.
The Chevrolet Utility 1.3 Diesel follows the established specification range of three options Base AC, Club and Sport. All are powered by a latest generation 1,3 litre common rail direct injection turbocharged engine. This turbocharged intercooled engine with advanced electronic control, including variable vane turbo technology, follows the latest automotive engine trend of small capacity engines providing highly efficient power and torque delivery.
This 16-valve double overhead cam engine produces 55 kW @ 4,000 r/min with 170 Nm of torque produced between 1,750 and 2,500 r/min. It achieves this with frugal fuel consumption of 5.5 litres/100km. As with other models in the range drive is via a 5-speed manual transmission.
The 1,3 litre diesel option compliments the 1,4 and 1,8 litre petrol engine options introduced on the Chevrolet Utility at launch.
The 1.4 litre petrol engine is available in Base, Base AC, Club, and Sport specification levels. This 8-valve, single overhead camshaft, four-cylinder 1.4 litre engine produces maximum power of 68 kW @ 6,000 r/min with peak torque of 120 Nm @ 3,200 r/min. Drive is via a 5-speed manual transmission. In its latest form the 1.4 litre engine fitted to these models allows the Chevrolet Utility 1.4 Base to boast of being the most powerful entry level vehicle in its segment. With fuel consumption of 7,2 l/100km for the combined cycle as tested by the SABS, the 1.4 Base is also able to lay claim to the title of most fuel efficient vehicle in its segment.
The 1.8 litre engine is available in Base AC, Club, and Sport specification levels. This engine, also an 8-valve single overhead camshaft four cylinder unit produces maximum power of 77 kW @ 5,400 r/min with peak torque of 161 Nm @ 3,000 r/min, engine performance that places it at the top of its class when both power and torque are considered. Drive is via 5-speed manual transmission. Combined cycle fuel consumption is measured at 8,1 l/100km.
ABS brakes for Base AC and Club models
Together with the addition of the three diesel models to the Chevrolet Utility range, GMSA has added safety specification in the form of ABS brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) to the Base AC and Club models. This means that all models in the range with the exception of the entry level Base model are equipped with ABS braking. All models from the Base specification up are equipped with driver and passenger front airbags to provide a class leading level of safety specification for the Chevrolet Utility.
As was the case with its predecessor the all new Chevrolet Utility set a number of new benchmarks in the class for comfort levels, interior space and latest technologies at launch. It raised the bar once again with its feature rich specification level and high level of occupant protection from Base entry level through the range. Add to this exceptional operating economy and it becomes obvious why the Chevrolet Utility has continued to build on its reputation as the most popular vehicle in its class. The previous model enjoyed an unbroken run of 82 months as segment leader in sales. Following on this the new Chevrolet Utility has emerged as the top seller in its segment for the period January through May this year.
Feature rich specification
The Chevrolet Utility offers a feature rich basic specification level that makes it an excellent value proposition. The 1.4 Base entry level specification includes:
- Body colour bumpers
- Protective moulding on load box upper edge
- Tie down hoops in load box
- 14 inch steel rims fitted with 185/65 R14 tyres (full size spare wheel)
- Hydraulic power steering
- Height adjustable steering column
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Follow me home lighting system
- Tinted windows
- Vanity mirrors for driver and passenger
- Driver and passenger airbags
- Transponder immobiliser system
The Chevrolet Utility1.4 Base AC and the 1.8 Base AC and 1.3 Diesel Base AC includes these items together with a manual air conditioner and ABS brakes with EBD.
The Club specification level available with a choice of 1.4 litre petrol,1.8 litre petrol, or 1.3 litre diesel engines adds the following specification items:
- Body colour door handles and rear view mirror housings
- Manual air conditioner
- Lead me to the car lighting system
- Light sensing automatic headlights on feature with Fade-in, Fade-out effect
- Passenger overhead assist handles
- 6-speaker audio system with radio/CD player; RDS; MP3; Auxiliary input; USB port; Blue tooth
- Remote control central locking with safety unlock feature and automatic door lock at 15 km/h
- Anti-theft alarm system
The Chevrolet Utility Sport trim level, available with all three engine options, offers what is essentially a full house specification level that includes:
- Polished aluminium roof mounted spoiler
- 15 inch alloy wheels fitted with 185/60 R15 tyres (full size spare)
- Power remote heated side mirrors
- Power windows with one touch operation and automatic close feature when central locking is activated by remote
- On-board computer
- Front fog lamps
The new Chevrolet Utility embodies a number of advanced electronics based technologies. This is made possible by the implementation of a latest technology CAN-Bus electronic system that provides central control for the engine and ancillary devices.
Class leading high-tech convenience features included in the specification of the Chevrolet Utility, depending on model, and as noted above include:
- Light sensing automatic headlights
- Fade-in, fade-out effect when turning on headlamps using the Automatic headlights feature
- Follow me home lights
- Lead me to the car lights
- Power windows with automatic close feature when central locking is activated by remote
Service intervals are 15,000 kilometres or 12 months. A service plan is available as an on-cost option.
The Chevrolet Utility is covered by a 5-year/120,000 km warranty with roadside assistance for the full warranty period. Corrosion warranty cover is provided for 5 years with no kilometre limit.