CAVENDISH IN GREEN NAMED MOST INSPIRATIONAL SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR
11 Award Winners announced at 2011 Jaguar Academy of Sport Annual Awards - 27 November 2011.
2011 UCI Road World Champion Mark Cavendish has been named ‘Most Inspirational Sportsman of the Year’ at the prestigious 2011 of Sport Annual Awards. The evening, hosted by James Corden and Kirsty Gallacher, celebrated some of the most inspirational British sporting performances over the past year. 400m hurdles World Champion Dai Greene and Group One winning jockey Hayley Turner were also big winners this evening, picking up the ‘Jump off the Sofa Moment’ and ‘Most Inspirational Sportswoman of the Year’ awards in front of a star-studded audience in London.
England's cricketers capped an Ashes-winning year by being awarded the ‘British Sporting Performance of the Year’ for their first test series win in Australia for 24 years, and four-time World Rowing Champion Tom Aggar picked up the ‘Best British Sporting Performance for an athlete with a Disability’ award. One of the highlights of the evening was presenting the esteemed Jaguar Academy of Sport Patrons Award for Sporting Legacy to one of Great Britain's most successful Paralympian’s, eleven-time Paralympic gold medallist Dave Roberts. A selection of the Patrons, Ambassadors and Members of the Jaguar Academy of Sport presented the Award winners with exquisite handcrafted Garrard awards in front of the best of British sporting talent at The Savoy. The Jaguar Academy of Sport recognises, celebrates and inspires the very best of British sporting talent and five of this year's 50 Rising Stars were acknowledged with the Jaguar Academy of Sport Special Recognition Award 2011.
These awards went to Crystal Lane, Kieran Martin, Patrick McCann, Rhys Walker, Anthony Watson, who have all excelled in their chosen sports this year. Para-cyclist Crystal Lane then went on to win the esteemed ‘Star of the Future’ award. Geoff Cousins Jaguar’s Global Director of Sponsorship commented: "Jaguar Academy of Sport stands for The Best of British Sport and the winners of these categories highlight that. It’s a privilege to be involved." Crystal Lane, Rising Star and winner of Star of the Future Award commented: “I am delighted to have won both these awards, it was amazing to receive a Special Recognition Award but then to receive the Star of the Future award is just fantastic. I can’t wait to make full use of the one-to-one mentoring, I’m sure it will really benefit and help me, in my dream to become a Paralympian” Dai Greene, winner of the ‘Jump off the Sofa Moment’ Award commented:
"I'm really excited, it's a great feeling to win the award. The evenings been really good, there's so many sports stars here, you get to chat to them and reminisce about their sporting days and we've got two great hosts here which makes it a bit easier".
Most Inspirational Sportsman of the Year, Mark Cavendish, commented: "A complete surprise! When you see some of the names that were up for nomination, it's pretty special. Cycling's still a growing sport, and to be a cyclist and be inspirational, that's a pretty big thing. For someone to watch what we do and actually appreciate it, which hasn't always been the case in the past, that's a big thing. It's a lovely evening." Full list of 2011 Award Winners:
- Jump off the Sofa Moment 2011 Winner – Dai Greene Other nominees – Jimmy Anderson, Chris Ashton, Jenson Button, Hannah England, Wayne Rooney
- Most Inspirational British Sportsman of the Year 2011 Winner – Mark Cavendish Other nominees – Alistair Brownlee, Darren Clarke, Alistair Cook, Luke Donald, Mo Farah
- Most Inspirational British Sportswoman of the Year 2011 Winner – Hayley Turner Other nominees – Hannah England, Helen Jenkins, Jade Jones, Keri-Anne Payne, Paul Radcliffe
- British Sporting Performance of the Year 2011 Winner – England Cricket Team Other nominees – Mo Farah, Dai Greene, Rory McIlroy, Solheim Cup Winners, Wales Rugby Team
- Best British Sporting Performance for an athlete with a disability 2011 Winner – Tom Aggar Other nominees – Liz Johnson, Crystal Lane, Sarah Storey, Thomas Young, David Weir
- Jaguar Academy of Sport Patrons Award for Sporting Legacy 2011 Winner – Dave Roberts
- Jaguar Academy of Sport Special Recognition Awards 2011 Winners – Crystal Lane, Kieran Martin, Patrick McCann, Rhys Walker, Anthony Watson