BMW M At a Glance – South Africa
- New BMW M GmbH product range based on current BMW models; BMW M Performance Automobiles complement the model family with their clear focus on sports performance combined with unrestricted everyday usability and outstanding efficiency; new product category launches with four models: BMW M550d xDrive Sedan (not for SA),
BMW M550d xDrive Touring (not for SA), BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d.
- Rigorous use of BMW M GmbH development expertise in the optimisation of agility, precision and emotion; BMW M Performance Automobiles with harmonious interplay of powertrain, chassis technology and design features typical of M models; exclusive, extremely powerful engine; detailed modifications to chassis technology and power transfer; aerodynamically optimised body.
- World premiere for a new six-cylinder in-line diesel engine developed exclusively for the BMW M Performance Automobiles; new, globally unique M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology: three turbochargers, common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors and maximum injection pressure of 2,200 bar; 3.0-litre displacement, 280 kW, maximum torque: 740 Newton metres; instantaneous responses and outstandingly dynamic power delivery into the upper reaches of the rev range; maximum revs: 5,400 rpm; impressively economical thanks to optimised efficiency and extensive BMW EfficientDynamics technology, including Auto Start-Stop function and ECO PRO mode.
- Eight-speed Sports automatic transmission with enhanced gearshift dynamics fitted as standard on all BMW M Performance Automobiles;
BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive with bespoke set-up optimised to enhance dynamics; BMW M550d xDrive and BMW X5 M50d with Performance Control, BMW X6 M50d with Dynamic Performance Control.
- M-specific tuning of suspension, bodyshell mounting, engine and transmission mounting, springs and dampers, all standard and optional chassis control systems, and the Servotronic mapping for the hydraulic steering; result is significantly enhanced agility and precision in dynamic driving situations, with the linear build-up of lateral forces familiar from M cars.
- BMW M550d xDrive comes as standard with the Driving Experience Control switch, including ECO PRO mode; BMW M550d xDrive Touring also features air suspension on the rear axle and automatic self-levelling; both models available as an option with Dynamic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive including anti-roll control.
- BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d fitted as standard with air suspension on the rear axle and self-levelling, Adaptive Drive standard on the BMW X6 M50d and available as an option for the
BMW X5 M50d.
- Purposeful design modifications in familiar M style set individual models apart and provide aerodynamic optimisation; exterior mirrors and air intake bars with striking Ferric Grey metallic paintwork; trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes; BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line; 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design standard on the BMW M550d xDrive and BMW M550d xDrive Touring; 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in V-spoke design standard on the
BMW X5 M50d; 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design standard on the BMW X6 M50d; exclusive 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in Ferric Grey available as an option for all models; model lettering on the door sills, boot lid and, in the case of the
BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d, also in the instrument cluster; engine cover with “M Performance” badge.
- Bespoke interior design shows clear emphasis on the cars’ sporting character; gearshift lever with M logo; exclusive Alcantara/Nappa leather M sports seats in Black (BMW X5 M50d, BMW X6 M50d) or Alcantara/Cloth in Grey Shadow (BMW M550d xDrive) with contrast stitching and embossed M logo; M leather steering wheel with gearshift paddles; BMW Individual roof liner in Anthracite; interior trim strips in Brushed Aluminium Shadow (BMW X5 M50d,
BMW X6 M50d) or Aluminium Hexagon (BMW M550d xDrive); interior sound design adds further emphasis to the characteristic six-cylinder soundtrack.
- All BMW M Performance Automobiles contain a wide range of comfort-enhancing equipment as standard; extensive individualisation possible thanks to virtually full availability of BMW 5 Series, BMW X5 and BMW X6 options; includes Comfort Access, automatic tailgate operation (standard in Germany on the BMW X6 M50d and
BMW M550d xDrive Touring), hands-free tailgate opening (BMW M550d xDrive, BMW M550d xDrive Touring), electrically operated glass/panoramic sunroof, doors with Soft Close Automatic function, trailer coupling, heated steering wheel, active seats, Adaptive LED Headlights (BMW X6 M50d), navigation systems with hard disk storage, high-quality audio and rear-seat entertainment systems.
- Wide range of driver assistance systems and mobility services from BMW ConnectedDrive unmatched by any rival: Head-Up Display, Adaptive Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition (BMW M550d xDrive), Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Lane Change Warning System
(BMW M550d xDrive), Lane Departure Warning System
(BMW M550d xDrive), rear-view camera with Top View
(BMW X5 M50d, BMW X6 M50d), Surround View (BMW 550d xDrive),
Speed Limit Info, internet access, extended integration of smartphones and music players, Real-Time Traffic Information (not for SA) and apps for receiving web radio and using Facebook and Twitter.
Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology, aluminium crankcase, three turbochargers (high-pressure, with variable turbine geometry), common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors, maximum injection pressure: 2,200 bar.
Displacement: 2,993 cc,
output: 280 kW at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 740 Nm at 2,000 – 3 000 rpm,
specific output: 93.6 kW per litre of displacement.
- BMW M Performance models: performance figures, fuel consumption, CO2 emissions:
BMW M550d xDrive Sedan:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 4.7 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h,
average fuel consumption: 6.3 litres/100 kilometres,
CO2 emissions: 165 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW M550d xDrive Touring:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 4.9 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h,
average fuel consumption: 6.4 litres/100 kilometres,
CO2 emissions: 169 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW X5 M50d:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 5.4 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h,
average fuel consumption: 7.5 litres/100 kilometres,
CO2 emissions: 199 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW X6 M50d:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 5.3 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h,
average fuel consumption: 7.7 litres/100 kilometres,
CO2 emissions: 204 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
More about the BMW M Class: