All-new Jeep® Grand Cherokee Now Powered by New 3.0-litre Turbo Diesel Engine
Legendary Jeep® Capability
- New 3.0-litre turbo, direct-injection V-6 diesel engine now available for the allnew Jeep® Grand Cherokee
- Fitted with MultiJet II technology developed by Fiat Powertrain
- New engine delivers more power and torque with improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions
- Diesel engine joins the 3.6-litre Pentastar V-6 and 5.7-litre MDS V-8 petrol engines
- New Quadra-Lift™ air suspension system provides height control and lifts vehicle up to 104mm from Park mode to a maximum ride height of 270mm to deliver legendary Jeep® off-road capability
- Choice of two 4×4 systems – Quadra-Trac II® and Quadra-Drive® II with rear Electronic Limited-slip Differential (ELSD)
- New Selec-Terrain™ system with Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II offers five terrain settings: Auto, Sand/Mud, Sport, Snow and Rock to match driving conditions
- All-new sculpted body and athletic profile define a sleek exterior with aerodynamic finesse
- All-new dual-pane panoramic sun roof (CommandView®) extends from the windshield to the rear of the vehicle. Comprised of two glass panels with power open/close sun shade
- New power rear liftgate for effortless remote up/down convenience (Grand Cherokee first)
- New 20-inch wheels standard on Overland models
- Bi-Xenon High-intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps standard on Limited and Overland models”
- Segment-exclusive SmartBeam® headlamps adjust to ambient light and oncoming traffic to deliver maximum lighting; standard on Limited and Overland models
Jeep World-class Interior
- Premium soft-touch interior materials for all models, including leather instrument panel and door trim on Overland model
- World-class interior features include real wood and leather, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, four-way power lumbar controls, rain-sensitive wipers, Keyless Enter-N-Go, ParkView™ rear back-up camera and power tilt/telescoping steering column with memory
- Increased storage areas in instrument panel with larger locking cubby hole and covered centre-stack storage bin
- Premium packaging for up to five passengers and cargo
- Larger front- and rear-door openings (78 degrees) for improved ingress/egress compared to previous model (67 degrees)
- More than 102mm of increased rear-seat knee and leg room (980mm) compared to previous model with reclining second-row seats
- Larger cargo volume (994) provides nearly 19 percent more room for gear compared to previous model (835)
- Well-appointed cargo compartment with removable dual storage bins inside the spare tyre compartment
Jeep Ride and Handling
- All-new front and rear suspension independent delivers premium on-road manners with isolated front and rear suspension cradles and variable-rate rear springs that combine to enhance on-road character and ride comfort
- All-new body structure’s torsional stiffness is 146 percent stiffer than previous models for improved durability and reduced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)
- Stiffness achieved with more than 5,400 welds in the body alone. This marks a 53 percent increase in spot welds, a 42-percent increase in arc welds and a 38-percent increase in structural adhesive
More than 45 Safety and Security Features for the JEEP
- Standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC) includes Electronic Roll Mitigation, Hillstart Assist, Trailer-sway Control and Hill-descent Control
- Standard full-length side-curtain air bags extend protection to front and rear outboard passengers
- Standard seat-mounted side thorax air bags enhance protection of the driver and front passenger
- Standard Active Head Restraints deploy in the event of a rear collision in order to minimise the gap between the head restraint and occupant’s head
- Blind-spot/Rear cross-path detection system notifies driver of vehicle(s) in blind spots with illuminated icons on side-view mirrors and/or an audible chime
- Adaptive Cruise Control decreases vehicle’s pre-set cruise-control speed when closing in on another vehicle or when another vehicle pulls into same lane (late availability)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system detects when the vehicle may be approaching another vehicle too rapidly and alerts driver (late availability)
Jeep Connectivity and Infotainment
- Uconnect Navigation combines the features of a Global Positioning System (GPS), points of interest
- Uconnect Phone is an in-vehicle, voice-activated communication system that allows drivers to talk on a Bluetooth-compatible phone with their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. The built-in phone book’s sync feature automatically downloads as many as 1 000 phone book entries from supported phones, which can then be selected by simply saying contact name. The hands-free option promotes safety, freedom, value and flexibility
- Premium audio system with nine speakers, surround sound and a 506-watt subwoofer
Jeep Legendary Capability
The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee offers the new Quadra-Lift air suspension system. The Quadra-Lift air suspension system features five height settings for optimum ride performance:
- Normal Ride Height (NRH): 270mm of clearance offers improved fuel economy and improved aerodynamics during on-road driving
- Off-road 1: Lifts the vehicle an additional 33mm for added height in clearing obstacles (238mm)
- Off-road 2: Delivers legendary Jeep off-road capability and provides an additional 66mm of height for 270mm of ground clearance
- Park Mode: Lowers the vehicle 40mm from NRH for easy ingress/egress and roof rack loading. NRH and Park mode are driver-selectable, giving the driver control over vehicle ride height
- Aero Mode: Lowers the vehicle 15mm from NRH. Aero mode is controlled by vehicle speed and adjusts for optimal performance and fuel economy
Quadra-Lift adds up to 104mm of lift span that is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride. Quadra-Lift operates automatically, or may be controlled manually via console controls.
In addition to the Quadra-Lift air suspension system, the all-new Selec-Terrain traction control system allows customers to choose the off-road setting for the optimum experience on all terrains. This feature electronically coordinates up to 12 different powertrain, braking and suspension systems, including throttle control, transmission shift, transfer case, Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control (ESC).
The Selec-Terrain’s control dial allows the driver to choose from five driving conditions in order to achieve the best driving experience on all terrains:
- Sand/Mud: Traction control and Quadra-Lift operate with sensitive response to wheel spin, and torque is tuned for optimal performance
- Sport: Provides enhanced on-road “fun-to-drive” capability
- Auto: Automatically adapts to any on- or off-road situation
- Snow: Vehicle traction adjusts for ultimate performance over snow-covered roads
- Rock: Quadra-Lift air suspension system raises to maximum height (270mm) and the transfer case, differentials and throttle coordinate to provide low-speed control
Selec-Terrain, coupled with the all-new Quadra-Lift air suspension system, offers drivers an adjustable suspension span that delivers world-class capability.
With the front air dam removed, and the available Quadra-Lift air suspension system, the allnew Jeep Grand Cherokee features a 34.3-degree approach angle, (compared to 32.3 on previous model), a 29.3-degree departure angle (compared to 27.5 on previous model) and 23.1-degree breakover angle (compared to 20.4 on previous model).
The all-new front and rear independent suspension features isolated front and rear suspension cradles. Variable-rate rear springs deliver improved on-road handling and comfort that complements the vehicle’s off-road capability. The new rear suspension allows the spare tyre to be stored inside the vehicle as opposed to underneath.
Go-Anywhere 4×4 Systems
The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers two 4×4 systems (Quadra-Trac II® and Quadra-Drive® II).
Quadra-Trac II’s two-speed transfer case uses input from a variety of sensors in order to determine tyre slip at the earliest possible moment and take corrective action. The system uses Throttle Anticipate to sense quick movement in the throttle from a stop and maximises traction before slippage occurs. When tyre slippage is detected, as much as 100 percent of available torque is instantly routed to the axle with the most traction.
Quadra-Drive II, with a rear Electronic Limited-slip Differential (ELSD), delivers industryleading tractive capability. The system instantly detects tyre slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to tyres with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will anticipate low traction and adjust in order to proactively limit or eliminate slip.
Selec-Terrain is standard with Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II.
Jeep Trail Rated®
All 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee models equipped with the Off-road Adventure II packages are Trail Rated®. The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee indicates that the vehicle has been designed to perform in a variety of challenging off-road conditions identified by five key consumer-oriented performance categories: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation and water fording.
Jeep Trail Rated is a unique methodology used by Jeep Engineering to measure and predict off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles. Through a combination of natural and controlled field tests, Jeep Trail Rated provides a consistent measurement of off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles. Only Jeep vehicles are Trail Rated.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Classic Exterior Design
Every surface of the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee is new and treated for aerodynamics.This improves fuel efficiency and puts more fluidity into the design while delivering an 8.5- percent improvement in drag compared with the previous model. The all-new 2011 Grand Cherokee coefficient of drag (Cd) is approximately 0.37 compared with the previous model’s Cd of 0.404.
The front includes Jeep’s classic seven-slot grille, round headlamps and trapezoidal wheel arches. The removable lower front fascia delivers improved fuel economy, on-road performance and off-road capability. The lower front fascia features a large chromed appliqué (Limited and Overland models) that showcases available tow hooks.
From the side, Jeep Grand Cherokee features an athletic, muscular profile. Black appliqués on B-pillars give the bright day-light opening (DLO) an aerodynamic, modern appearance and a sleek profile. Chromed mirrors and door handles add to the profile and complement the full-chromed DLO surround on all models.
Tail lamps wrap from the rear quarter panel to the back of the vehicle and create a solid form which achieves a more upscale appearance. The treatment complements the front-end design and resonates with the rest of the exterior.
Jeep Grand Cherokee models equipped with the 5.7-litre MDS V-8 engine have 3.5-inch dual chromed exhaust tips, and those with the V-6 engine have a 3-inch single exhaust.
Jeep World-class Interior Refinement
The all-new interior features rich materials and elegant appointments, as well as more room for both passengers and cargo.
An available all-new CommandView® dual-pane sunroof ( standard on Overland) provides twice as much glass surface than a standard sunroof and extends from the windshield to the rear of the vehicle. The front panel may be opened rearward, providing additional light and fresh air to first-row passengers.
The rear panel, which is fixed, allows light and open viewing for second-row passengers and comes standard with a power sun shade.
The vehicle’s 2915mm wheelbase is 135mm longer than the model it replaces and contributes to an overall vehicle length that is 45mm longer than the prior model. The longer wheelbase creates more interior room and gives passengers an additional 102mm of rearseat knee and leg room. The vehicle also is three inches wider for improved handling and packaging.
Larger front door openings provide better access to the interior.
Inside, premium seating includes room for five passengers.
For maximum cargo and passenger comfort, rear seat backs move a total of 18 degrees front to back.
Cargo volume behind the second row provides an additional 159 of room (994 total)compared to the previous model. The well-appointed rear cargo area includes a storage unit with a removable/rechargeable flashlight and new and improved grocery hooks on both sides. The spare tire compartment includes removable dual storage bins for secure storage of muddy gear or other items.
An all-new power rear liftgate is available for effortless remote up/down convenience.
Premium Performance Jeep Grand Cherokee
Continuing to build on the Jeep brand’s legendary off-road capability, the all-new 2011 Grand Cherokee adds premium on-road performance to complete the package.
The all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s premium SUV on-road manners and legendary Jeep ruggedness is achieved with more than 5,400 welds in the body alone. Torsional stiffness is 146 percent stiffer than the previous Grand Cherokee for improved durability and reduced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
More than 3,700 mm of arc welding and 100 m of structural adhesive augment the welding.
This marks a 53-percent increase in spot welds, a 42-percent increase in arc welds and a 38-percent increase in structural adhesive.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Powertrains
Built by VM Motori and developed together with Fiat Powertrain, a company of Fiat S.p.a., the new 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine produces maximum power output of 177 kW at 4,000 rpm and torque of 550 N•m at 1,800-2,800 rpm. This translates to 10 percent more power and eight percent more torque than the engine it replaces.
Even with its improved performance, fuel economy for the new 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine is 8.3 /100km on the combined cycle, an improvement of 19 percent over the prior diesel engine. CO2 emissions (combined cycle) are also reduced by 20 percent, now at 218 g/km.
The V-6 turbo diesel engine is fitted with new-generation, 1 800-bar injectors with new MultiJet II technology, developed and patented by Fiat Powertrain.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Block Structure
The new 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine features a compressed graphite iron, 60-degree block with aluminium cylinder heads and a two-piece structural aluminium oil pan with a total displacement of 2987 cm3.
The engine is compact and lightweight and the overall weight of the fully dressed new engine is 230 kg.
The engine block features a crankcase architecture with stiffened construction, including a bedplate that provides a rigid and stiff carrier for the crankshaft. This in turn helps reduce overall noise from the lower reciprocating assembly and contributes to significant improvements in overall noise, vibration and harshness.
Adding to the structural rigidity of the block, the two-piece aluminium oil pan has been designed to provide strength and contribute to the quietness of the engine. The lower pan has been reinforced for off-road use. Crankcase capacity is 7.7.
Cylinder heads are constructed of aluminium and feature a chain-driven, dual overheadcamshaft design with four valves per cylinder.
A forged-steel crankshaft is supported by four main bearing journals fitted with four-bolt main bearing caps incorporated into the bedplate.
Lightweight, cast-aluminium pistons are redesigned to provide minimal friction. The compression ratio of the new diesel engine is now 16.5:1, reduced from 18.1:1 on the previous model, contributing to cleaner combustion and providing more power.
All main bearings are a “lead free” design for reduced environmental impact during construction and later recycling of the engine.
Engine Performance Features
The induction system includes swirl control to optimize combustion. Fitted between the intake system and the combustion chamber, the swirl control effectively provides an ideal air/fuel mixture at all levels of engine speed.
Precise fuel delivery is through a 1 800-bar common-rail fuel-injection system. Thanks to the new MultiJet II technology, which makes use of a special balanced solenoid valve, the new injector is capable of making up to eight injections per cycle with the possibility of managing the two main injections in a single modular profile (IRS – Injection Rate Shaping).
This guarantees a reduction in consumption and polluting emissions of approximately 2 percent compared to a traditional injector and ensures a drastic reduction in noise levels.
The new 3.0-litre diesel engine utilizes a single Garrett VGT 2056 turbocharger with variable turbine geometry. Compact and lightweight, the turbocharger provides near-instant response and includes an air-to-air intercooler.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Economy and Emissions
Fuel economy for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine is rated at 10.3 /100 km on the urban cycle and 7.2 /100 km on the extra-urban cycle. For the combined cycle, the fuel economy is rated at 8.3 /100 km.
The engine is designed to run on low-sulphur diesel fuel, however for South African conditions where low sulphur diesel fuel is not always available, the engineers have deleted the diesel particulate filter to enable the use of our local 500 ppm diesel fuel.
For this engine, cast-iron exhaust manifolds are utilized. Additional emissions controls include a close-coupled diesel oxidation catalyst. Euro 5 emissions are met through an exhaust-gas recirculation (EGR) system that includes an EGR valve with DC motor and a high-performance EGR cooler with bypass valve.
CO2 emissions are reduced to 270 g/km for the urban cycle and 188 g/km for the extra-urban cycle. Combined-cycle CO2 emissions are now 218 g/km.
Jeep Grand Cherokee will be in South Africa in both Limited and Overland trim lines.
The new diesel engine will be available in Jeep showrooms by the end of January 2012 and will join the two petrol engines to round out the powertrain lineup. The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee features the all-new 3.6-litre Pentastar V-6 petrol engine.
This V-6 engine with variable valve timing (VVT) delivers 210 kW of power and 347 Nm of torque.
The Grand Cherokee is also available with the legendary 5.7-litre V-8 petrol engine. Also with VVT, this powerful engine delivers 259 kW of power and 520 N•m of torque. The engine’s Multi-displacement System (MDS) helps manage fuel efficiency and can cut fuel delivery to up to four cylinders under certain driving conditions.
More than 45 Safety and Security Features
The all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee includes more than 45 safety and security features.
Standard safety features include Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with rough-road detection, four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS), Keyless Enter-N-Go, Remote keyless entry, express up/down windows for driver and front-seat passenger, seat-belt pretensioners, Trailer-sway Control and Remote start, which is standard on Limited and Overland models.
Other standard safety features include full-length side-curtain air bags which extend protection to front and rear outboard passengers, seat-mounted side thorax air bags that enhance protection for the driver and front passenger, and active head restraints which deploy in the event of a rear collision.
Built on 70 years of legendary heritage, Jeep is the authentic SUV with class-leading capability, craftsmanship and versatility for people who seek extraordinary journeys. The Jeep brand delivers an open invitation to live life to the fullest by offering a full line of vehicles that continue to provide owners with a sense of security to handle any journey with confidence.
The Jeep vehicle lineup includes Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Patriot, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited.
Jeep Grand Cherokee prices:
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD Ltd – R599 990
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD Overland – R649 990
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L Ltd – R532 990
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L Overland – R582 990
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI Overland – R645 990