Alfa Romeo Giulietta celebrates its 60th anniversary with new high-performance Quadrifoglio Verde version
- Combining 90 years of Quadrifoglio Verde tradition with the very best of Alfa Romeo’s DNA, Giulietta shares its engine and ALFA TCT transmission with the Alfa Romeo 4C supercar
- Now with Launch Control, the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde can accelerate from 0-62 mph in just 6.0 seconds and top 149mph
- Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde: new powertrain, enhanced styling features and a revised interior with standard DAB and satellite navigation
- 1.4-litre MultiAir Turbo Petrol 170hp engine combined with paddle-shift operated ALFA TCT transmission for the first time
- With 170hp and 184lb/ft / 250Nm of torque, combined with ALFA TCT transmission, 0-62mph acceleration time is reduced to just 7.3 seconds
- Reduced emissions and improved economy with no performance penalty
The new high-performance Alfa Romeo MiTo and Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde models, which made their world debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, are set to go on sale in the UK later this summer. The first Alfa Romeo to bear the Quadrifoglio Verde was the ‘RL’ driven by Ugo Sivocci that won the Targa Florio in 1923. Since then all racing Alfa Romeo’s have carried the emblem for good luck and in the 1960’s they also began appearing on high-performance versions of road-going Alfa Romeo cars. The new ‘Quadrifoglio Verde’ versions of the MiTo and Giulietta follow in the tyre-treads of the best of these Alfa Romeo models, drawing on their heritage of performance and driving pleasure but without compromising on efficiency, respect for the environment and everyday practicality.
ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA QUADRIFOLGIO VERDE
- Alfa Romeo Giulietta celebrates its 60th anniversary with the new Quadrifoglio Verde high-performance version
- A true expression of Alfa Romeo’s DNA, it uses the same 240hp, aluminium-block , direct-injection, 1750 Turbo Petrol engine – and state-of-the-art, six-speed, twin dry clutch ALFA TCT transmission – as the as the Alfa Romeo 4C supercar
- New Launch Control optimises engine, transmission and traction systems to accelerate the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde from 0 to 62mph in just 6.0 seconds – 0.8 seconds faster than the model it replaces!
- New “QV Intake Engine Sound” system accentuates the full, exciting engine sound one expects from a high-performance Alfa Romeo
- Interior enhanced with a new steering wheel; instrument panel with Quadrifoglio Verde logo and new wraparound sports seats with one-piece backrest
- New matt Magnesio Grey body colour exclusively created for the Launch Edition special series. Also available in Alfa Red and tri-coat Competizione Red
- On sale in late July priced from £28,120 (£30,280 for the Launch Edition) OTR
To celebrate its 60th anniversary the Alfa Romeo Giulietta is now available in a new Quadrifoglio Verde derivative – a true expression of Alfa Romeo’s racing DNA with its distinctive looks, strong performance and unmistakable personality. The exterior of the car is distinguished by its lowered sports suspension; the legendary Quadrifoglio Verde emblem on the front wings; its dark-tinted rear window glass and the Anthracite finish on the mirror fairings, front grille, door handles and fog-light frames. The car’s aggressive look is completed by two large exhaust tailpipes and its 18-inch alloy wheels – through which the red, four-piston Brembo® brake callipers and large 320mm brake discs are visible.
Inside, high-quality materials and tasteful detailing represent the ultimate expression of Italian style. New wraparound sport seats, with a one-piece backrest and trimmed in leather and Alcantara®, enhance the driving experience by offering new levels of comfort and security while exploiting the car’s impressive performance. The new steering wheel, trimmed in leather with contrasting white stitching, brings added tactility while aluminium sports pedals; specific kick-plates; darkened interior headlining; special floor mats and a leather-trimmed gear lever and parking brake lever (with matching contrast stitching) complete the interior revisions of the new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde.
Under the bonnet lies a thoroughbred Alfa Romeo power-plant: The all-aluminium engine first seen in the Alfa Romeo 4C supercar. The four-cylinder, direct-injection, 1750 Turbo Petrol engine delivers 240hp at 5,750rpm and 250lb/ft (340Nm) of torque between 2,000 and 4,000rpm with 80 percent available from just 1,800rpm. These figures translate into superb specific torque and power values for its category: 194 Nm/litre and 137hp/litre.
Specific intake and exhaust systems have been developed for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde’s all-aluminium engine so that it sounds as well as it performs. It boasts cutting-edge technical solutions including direct fuel injection; continuous variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves and a turbocharger with a revolutionary scavenging control system which drastically reduces turbo lag.
In addition to the 1750 Turbo Petrol engine, the state-of-the-art, six-speed ALFA TCT twin dry clutch transmission has also been inherited from the Alfa Romeo 4C supercar. While the adoption of ALFA TCT as standard ensures more comfortable and relaxing day-to-day use, it also translates into a more exciting drive when the mood takes the driver, with ultra-responsive, motorsport-style sequential shifts via the ergonomic gear lever or steering wheel shift paddles. As with all Alfa Romeos, the car’s character can be customised by the driver using the Alfa D.N.A. driving selector, which employs different throttle, transmission and steering settings depending on the driver’s choice.
Another special feature of the ALFA TCT fitted to the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde is the new Launch Control system, first employed on the 4C supercar. It is activated by pressing the brake and accelerator pedals all the way down, squeezing the down-shift paddle on the steering wheel and then releasing the brakes – the system automatically controls the traction control systems, engine power delivery and transmission upshifts to maximise acceleration: It’s so effective, in fact, it has shaved a staggering 0.8 seconds from the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde’s 0 – 62mph time compared to its predecessor. It can now perform the benchmark sprint in just 6.0 seconds and, where legally permitted, it can reach a top speed of in excess of 149mph.
The driving experience is further enhanced by the distinctive sound produced by the new fuel intake unit – called ‘QV Intake Engine Sound’ – that enhances the engine note at low frequencies to ensure the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde sounds every bit as excitingly as it performs.
This impressive level of performance has been achieved with minimum impact on the environment: By implementing multiple injection control and advanced anti-friction and energy loss reduction systems, the emissions of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde meet strict Euro 6 standards. And despite stronger performance than the previous model, the new Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1750 Turbo Petrol 240hp TCT Quadrifoglio Verde also benefits from significantly reduced CO2 emissions, dropping from 177 to 162 g/km.
In addition to improved performance, an enhanced engine note, better fuel economy and lower emissions, the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde also offers an unprecedented array of standard equipment, including Alfa Romeo’s new 6.5-inch Uconnect™ touch-screen multimedia system which has an integrated satellite navigation system with 3D bird’s-eye view maps, progressive route guidance and ‘One-Step Voice Entry Destination’ function which allows the address to be inputted using voice commands. The system also features DAB digital radio, Bluetooth connectivity with music streaming, Aux-in/USB port and voice command operation.
UK equipment specification of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde:
- New ALFA TCT with Launch Control
- QV Intake Engine Sound
- Oversized twin tailpipes
- Lowered sports suspension
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Enhanced braking system with red Brembo® Callipers
- Polished Anthracite finish on grille, door handles, mirrors and fog light frames
- Side skirts
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Visibility Pack
- Dark-tinted rear windows
- Flat-bottom racing steering wheel with paddle shifters and white or red stitching
- Specific instrument panel with Quadrifoglio Verde logo
- Wraparound leather and Alcantara® sports seats
- White and green stitching on seats, gear lever boot and handbrake
- Uconnect™ 6.5-inch touch-screen infotainment system with advanced satellite navigation, Bluetooth, DAB, Text Reader, Audio Streaming, Voice Controls and USB
- Kick plates with Quadrifoglio Verde logo
- Aluminium sports pedals
- Specific Quadrifoglio Verde floor mats
The Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde will make its UK debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed at the end of June and goes on sale shortly thereafter with prices starting from £28,120 OTR. The first examples to reach showrooms will be the special “Launch Edition” model which builds on the specification of the standard Quadrifoglio Verde but adding carbon-fibre mirror covers; a carbon-fibre rear spoiler; distinctive new side skirts; a front air dam; a rear diffuser; 18-inch 5-hole alloy wheels with a burnished finish and a unique numbered plaque. Just 500 examples will be built in total with 100 coming to the UK in July priced from £30,280 OTR. The standard colour will be Alfa Red (a £510 option on the standard Alfa Romeo Giulietta) with matte Magnesio Grey and 8C Red optional.