Chicago Bears legend Brian Urlacher and PGA TOUR Player Henrik Stenson fell short to Evans Scholar Caddie Jordan Pounder in a high-performance BMW i8 remote control challenge, resulting in a BMW donation of $10,000 on Jordan’s behalf to the Evans Scholars Foundation.
Woodcliff Lake, N.J. (September 16, 2015) – The 2015 BMW Championship kicked off today with a nod to the classic 1980 golf comedy “Caddyshack” with the help of legendary actor Bill Murray and his five golfing brothers: Andy, Brian, Ed, Joel and John. The Murray brothers participated in the annual Gardner Heidrick Pro-Am to mark the official start of BMW Championship week at Conway Farms Golf Club in Lake Forest, IL. The Murray brothers will be inducted into The Caddie Hall of Fame at a private dinner following the Pro-Am at Conway Farms.
The Gardner Heidrick Pro-Am is the single largest fundraiser of the year for the Evans Scholars Foundation, which provides deserving young caddies with full 4-year university scholarships. BMW’s mission to support the Evans Scholars Foundation resonates particularly strongly with the Murray brothers, who all caddied at nearby Indian Hill Golf Club growing up. Ed Murray, himself a 1963 Evans Scholar was the inspiration for “Caddyshack,” which was written by Brian and highlighted the comedic acting genius of Bill. The Murray brothers, along with their caddying sisters Nancy, Peggy and Laura, were raised by Edward and Lucille Murray in Winnetka, IL, just a few minutes’ drive from Lake Forest.
Former Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher also participated in the Pro-Am playing alongside PGA TOUR player Henrik Stenson. When breaking from play on the putting green at Conway Farms, Urlacher, Stenson and Evans Scholar caddie Jordan Pounder, a senior at Northwestern University, competed in a race to the hole using miniature high-performance remote controlled BMW i8s. Following Jordan’s successful attempt, BMW donated $10,000 on his behalf to the Evans Scholars Foundation.
The penultimate event in the PGA TOUR’s FedExCup Playoffs, the 2015 BMW Championship features the top 70 players in golf. The BMW Championship will be contested Thursday, September 17 through Sunday, September 20. All net proceeds from the BMW Championship benefit the Evans Scholars Foundation. Since BMW became title sponsor in 2007, the tournament has raised more than $19.6 million for the Evans Scholars Foundation.
Continuing the BMW Championship tradition, there are multiple benefits for the first player to achieve a hole-in-one during the tournament, including:
- BMW Hole-In-One Scholarship: BMW will provide a full, four-year tuition and housing grant through the Evans Scholars Foundation in honor of the first PGA TOUR player to record a hole-in-one during the BMW Championship.
- Hole-In-One Competition:
- 11th Hole: The first player to score a hole-in-one on the 11th hole will receive the all new BMW i8, the revolutionary plug-in hybrid sports car. The BMW i8 is primarily made of carbon fiber and offers an exhilarating driving experience, going from 0-60mph in just 4.2 seconds.
- 17th Hole: The first player who achieves a hole-in-one on the 17th Hole will receive the all-new BMW 7 Series, the brand’s flagship in its sixth generation and most innovative car in its class. The 2016 BMW 7 Series sets a new benchmark in lightweight design, driving dynamics, comfort, intelligent connectivity and intuitive operation.
For the first time ever during the BMW Championship, the first seven spectators to successfully reach the green from the BMW Fan Challenge in the BMW Experience on Saturday, September 19, will be invited to participate in the BMW Shootout from the 17th hole, following the conclusion of play. Any participant to record a hole-in-one during the shootout, will walk away with an all new BMW 7 series, the most innovative car in its class.
BMW Owners receive exclusive access and special benefits throughout the week at the 2015 BMW Championship, including:
- BMW Owners’ Day: On Thursday, September 17, all BMW owners receive complimentary admission for themselves and one guest into the tournament by pre-registering at www.2015bmwchampionship.com/owners.
- BMW Owners’ Parking and Concierge: BMW Owners receive exclusive parking in the BMW Owners’ Lot, personal concierge service, and shuttle service to/from the BMW Championship.
- BMW Owners’ Pavilion: Once inside the BMW Championship, Owners can access the BMW Owners’ Pavilion by simply showing their BMW key fob. The double-decker BMW Owners’ Pavilion features open-air and air-conditioned interior seating with some of the best views of golf on the course.