2015 TOYOTA HILUX DAKAR UNVEILED
Toyota chose lucky Friday the 13th to launch the latest version of the legendary Toyota Hilux, South Africa's top-selling vehicle (passenger cars included!), which last year marked it 45th anniversary.
To celebrate yet another monumental Hilux achievement – its success in the 2015 Dakar Rally – Toyota today launches a new special edition in the shape of the Hilux Dakar. It’s a fitting tribute to the rallying prowess of Giniel de Villiers and Dirk von Zitzewitz who pulled off a class win (T1 Petrol) and an overall second place on the podium at the 2015 Dakar in the Toyota Imperial Hilux.
In keeping with its flagship status, the Hilux Dakar builds on the already impressive Legend 45 package, boasting additional aesthetic and cabin enhancements. The Dakar treatment is applied to all Legend 45 models, with 50 percent of Legend production converted to Dakar models (to run for a period of three months).
According to Glenn Crompton, Vice President of Marketing, this new model is “inspired by the extreme performance of the world’s most grueling motorsport event where toughness is not just a pay-off line, it’s a prerequisite. People buy Hilux as a workhorse, a family vehicle, or as a mixture of both, which means they are attracted by its renowned ruggedness as well as its car-like comfort. Hilux Dakar delivers the best of both worlds.”
Playing up the purposefulness of the design, the Dakar is differentiated from the Legend 45 as follows:
- Two-tone stainless-steel, tubular front nudge bar finished in polished stainless steel with a matt black cross bar and official “Dakar” decal in white.
- Two-tone stainless-steel, tubular load bay styling bar with matt black cross plate and official “Dakar” decal in white. (The styling bar is optional on Legend 45 models.)
- Standard Tonneau cover in black (optional on Legend 45).
- Two-tone stainless-steel, tubular rear step bumper with matt black step.
- 17-inch alloy wheels in dark grey finish – differentiated from the lighter hued ‘anthracite’ of the Legend 45.
- Exterior mirror cladding and door handles in glossy black finish.
- Two-tone front grille with chrome border and glossy black horizontal slats.
- B-pillar – black-out finish as opposed to body colour.
- Unique official Dakar decaling on the front nudge bar, front doors, styling bar and rear tailgate.
- Available exclusively in Glacier White or Chromium Silver.
- Full black interior leather with red stitching (the Legend 45 boasts black leather with silver accents).
It’s worth noting that all Hilux models are generously equipped. The popular double cab 3.0d and 4.0 V6 models for example, in both Raised Body and 4x4 guise come with superior specification including remote central locking; power windows and mirrors (with retract feature); electronic climate control; auto light-sensing headlights; display audio system with Bluetooth, touch-screen functionality and reverse monitor; cruise control and multi-function steering wheel to mention just some of the niceties on the standard menu. Safety spec is likewise ample with six airbags, ABS, EBD, as well as Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) as standard.
How much does the Toyota Hiulux cost in South Africa?
Hilux 2.7 VVTi Raised Body Dakar - R315 100
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R361 600
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R419 600
3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R393 100
3.0D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R451 400
Hilux 2.7 VVTi RB Dakar - R396 700
Hilux 4.0 V6 RB Dakar AT - R472 500
Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Dakar AT - R558 200
Hilux 2.5 D-4D RB Dakar - R431 800
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar - R459 200
Hilux 3.0 D-4D RB Dakar AT - R473 300
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar - R518 400
Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4X4 Dakar AT - R532 700
All Hilux Dakar models come standard with a five-year / 90 000km service plan.