The third generation of Chevrolet Utility sub-1 ton pick-up enters the market with a choice of seven derivatives powered by either a 1.4 litre or 1.8 litre four cylinder petrol engine. As was the case with its predecessor, the all new Chevrolet Utility sets a number of new benchmarks in the class for comfort levels, interior space and latest technologies.
Both the 1.4 and 1.8 engines are carried over from the previous model but benefit from a hardware and electronic upgrade that makes the new vehicle not only more driveable but also more efficient.
The 1.4 litre engine is available in Base, Base AC, Club, and Sport specification levels. The 8-valve, single overhead camshaft, four-cylinder 1.4 litre engine produces maximum power of 68 kW @ 6000 r/min with peak torque of 120 Nm @ 3200 r/min. Drive is via a 5-speed manual transmission. In its latest form the 1.4 litre engine fitted to the entry level models in the range allow the Chevrolet Utility 1.4 Base to boast of being the most powerful entry level vehicle in its segment. With fuel consumption of 7,2 l/100km for the combined cycle as tested by the SABS, the 1.4 Base is also able to lay claim to the title of most fuel efficient entry level vehicle in its segment.
The 1.8 litre engine is available in Base AC, Club, and Sport specification levels. This engine is also an 8-valve single overhead camshaft, four cylinder unit. Maximum power is 77 kW @ 5400 r/min with peak torque of 161 Nm @ 3000 r/min, engine performance that places it at the top of its class when both power and torque are considered. Drive is via 5-speed manual transmission. Combined cycle fuel consumption is measured at 8,1 l/100km.
Suspension at the front is by McPherson struts. The rear suspension is a semi-independent trailing arm system (open profile torsion bar).
As was the case with its pre-decessor, the new Chevrolet Utility offers a feature rich basic specification level that makes it an excellent value proposition. The Base specification level includes:
- Body colour bumpers
- Protective moulding on load box upper edge
- Tie down hoops in load box
- 14 inch steel rims fitted with 185/65 R14 tyres (full size spare wheel)
- Hydraulic power steering
- Height adjustable steering column
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Follow me home lighting system
- Tinted windows
- Vanity mirrors for driver and passenger
- Driver and passenger airbags
- Transponder immobiliser system
The Chevrolet Utility 1.4 Base AC and the 1.8 Base AC add a manual air conditioner to this specification.
The Club specification level available with either the1.4 litre or 1.8 litre engine adds the following specification items:
- Body colour door handles and rear view mirror housings
- Manual air conditioner
- Lead me to the car lighting system
- Automatic headlights on
- Passenger overhead assist handles
- 6-speaker audio system with radio/CD player; RDS; MP3; Auxiliary input; USB port; Blue tooth
- Remote control central locking with safety unlock feature and automatic door lock at 15 km/h
- Anti-theft alarm system
The Chevrolet 1.4 and 1.8 Sport have the following items added to offer what is essentially a full house specification level:
- Polished aluminium roof mounted spoiler
- 15 inch alloy wheels fitted with 185/60 R15 tyres (full size spare)
- Power remote heated side mirrors
- Power windows with one touch operation
- On-board computer
- Front fog lamps
- ABS anti-lock brakes with EBD – Electronic Brake Force Distribution
The new Chevrolet Utility offers a number of advanced electronics based technologies. This is made possible by the implementation of a latest technology CAN-Bus electronic system that provides central control for the engine and ancillary devices.
Class leading high-tech convenience features included in the specification of the Chevrolet Utility, depending on model, and as noted above include:
- Light sensing automatic headlights
- Fade-in, fade-out effect when turning on headlamps using the Automatic headlights feature
- Follow me home lights
- Lead me to the car lights
- Power windows with automatic close feature when central locking is activated by remote