On August 11, 2012 Google have selected the “London 2012 rhythmic gymnastics” event to be featured as its 16th Google Doodle for the Olympics 2012 sequence of Google Doodles. During the Summer Olympics 2012, Google have created one Google Doodle each day for the duration of the Olympics featuring one sport each day.
These images linked to the search results for the sport being promoted, leading to phenomenal exposure to the events Google have selected to be featured on their homepage. We suspect that as a result of this, the 2012 Olympics have seen the biggest ever online interest in the games.
The London 2012 Rhythmic Gymnastics took place from August 9, 2012 to August 12, 2012 at the Wembley Arena in the United Kingdom. The first World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships were held in Budapest in 1963, just over two decades before the discipline made its Olympic debut at the Los Angeles 1984 Games.
At the London 2012 Rhythmic Gymnastics there are 96 women taking part in the event. Each country is limited to eight athletes (two Individual athletes and a group of six athletes for the Group event)
The London 2012 rhythmic gymnastics is a women only event, and no men are participating at the games. The only other events at the Olympics that are for women only are the Synchronized swimming competition.
Rhythmic Gymnastics is a combination of gymnastics and dance. Individual competitors perform short routines to music using hand apparatus – a hoop, a ball, clubs and a ribbon. Groups perform two routines, one with five balls and the other with three ribbons and two hoops. Scores are awarded in three categories: difficulty, artistry and execution.
About the London 2012 rhythmic gymnastics Google Doodle
- The Google Doodle were selected for the August 11, 2012 London 2012 Rhythmic Gymnastics event.
- The London 2012 Rhythmic Gymnastics Google doodle represents the woman individual event. There are two competitions at the Olympics, the Individual and Group events.
- The Gymnast selected the ribbon as part of her performance. Other equipment includes hoops or a ball.
- The Gymnast in the London 2012 Rhythmic Gymnastics image used her ribbon to create the two o’s in the “Google Logo” completing the words.
- The Gymanst looks happy and confident with her performance. The London 2012 rhythmic gymnastics event is one of the most elegant events taking place at the games, and we think Google have done an excellent job creating the doodle.
For a complete list of the London 2012 Google Doodles you can go to our